« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
207. In reading metric numbers, the name of the unit may be applied to all on the left of the decimal point, and the name of the smallest denomination denoted to all on the right of the point. Thus,
42.73 m may be read forty-two, and seventy-three hundredths meters; or, forty-two meters, and seventy-three centimeters.
8.675 Km may be read eight, and six hundred seventy-five thousandths kilometers; or, eight kilometers, and six hundred seventy-five meters.
1. How many meters and hundredths of a meter are expressed by 7.25 m ?
2. How many kilometers and thousandths of a kilometer are expressed by 8.407 Km ?
3. How many meters and centimeters does 7.25 m express ?
4. How many kilometers and meters does 8.407 Km express ?
5. How many centimeters in 4.15 m? How many meters in 7.384 Km?
6. Reduce 784 centimeters to meters ; 6453 meters to kilometers.
208. SURFACE MEASURES.
100 square millimeters (sq mm) are 1 square centimeter, sq cm.
“ 1 square dekameter, sq Dm. 100 square dekameters
1 square hektometer, sq Hm. 100 square hektometers “ 1 square kilometer, sq Km.
100 centares (ca), or sq. meters, are 1 ARE, a. 100 ares
• 1 hektare, Ha.
Equivalents. 1 square centimeter = 0.1550 sq. inch. l are
= 3.954 sq. rods. 1 square decimeter = 0.1076 sq. foot. 1 hektare = 2.471 acres.
= 1.196 sq. yards. - 1 sq. kilometer=0.3861 sq. mile.
1. The square meter is used in measuring ordinary surfaces ; the square kilometer, in measuring the area of countries ; and the are and hektare, in measuring land.
2. The square meter is about 104 square feet, or 14 square yards; and the hektare, about 21 acres.
3. As 100 units of a sinaller denomination make a unit of a denomination next larger, the scale is 100, and two places of figures must be allowed for each denomination. Thus,
Centimeter. 31 Ha 14 a 17 ca, written as ares, is 3114.17a, which may be read 3114 ares, and 17 centares; and, written as hektares, is 31.1417 Ha, which may be read 31 hektares, and 1417 centares.
7. In 4 square meters how many square decimeters? In 4 square centimeters how many square millimeters ? ,
8. Express 65.41 a as centares ; as hektares.
9. How many ares in 5734 ca ? How many hektares in 6893 a ?
209. VOLUME MEASURES.
1000 cubic millimeters (cu mm) are 1 cubic centimeter, cu cm.
1000 cubic decimeters . “ 1 cubic meter, cum, or STERE. Also,
10 decisteres (dst) are 1 stere, st.
1 cubic centimeter = 0.061 cu. inch. 1 cubic meter = 1.308 cu. yards, 1 cubic decimeter = 61.022 cu. inches. 1 stere = 0.2759 cord.
1. The cubic meter, the unit of ordinary solids, takes the name of stere when applied to the measuring of wood and lumber.
2. The cubic decimeter is about 61 cubic inches; the cubic meter, or stere, about 354 cubic feet.
3. Where, as in the table, 1000 units of a smaller denomination make a unit of a denomination next larger, the scale is 1000, and three places of figures must be allowed for each denomination. Thus, 13 cu m 406 cu dm 578 cu cm, written as cubic meters, 1 Cubic
Centimeter. is 13.406578 cu m, which may be read 13 cubic meters, and 406578 cubic centimeters ; and, written as cubic decimeters, is 13406.578 cu dm.
10. In 6 cum how many cubic decimeters? In 8 cu dm how many cubic centimeters ?
11. In 7000 cu mm how many cubic centimeters? In 9000 cu dm how many cubic meters ?
12. Express 76.006 cu dm as cubic centimeters; as cubic meters.
13. Express 0.3125 cum as cubic decimeters; as cubic centimeters.
210. CAPACITY MEASURES.
10 milliliters (ml) are 1 centiliter, «.
“ 1 dekaliter, DI.
Equivalents. 1 liter = 61.022 cu. inches.
1 hektoliter = 3.531 cu. feet. 1 liter = 1.0567 liquid quarts. 1 hektoliter = 26.417 gallons. 1 liter = 0.908 dry quart.
1 hektoliter = 2.837 bushels.
1 Milliliter =
1 Cubic Centimeter.
14. How many liters, and what decimal of a liter, are expressed by 6.45'?
15. How many kiloliters, and what decimal of a kiloliter, are expressed by 9.750 KI ?
16. How many centiliters are 6 liters ? 7.55 liters ?
17. How many liters in 600 centiliters? How many kiloliters in 6000 liters ?
1 gram = 1 cu. centimeter, or 1 milliliter of water.
1 gram = 15.432 grains troy. 1 grain = 0.03527 ounce av.
1 kilogram = 2.2046 pounds av. 1 metric ton = 1.1023 tons.
NOTE. — The weight of the gram is determined when the water is pure and at the temperature of its greatest density, which is 39.20 Fahrenheit.
1. The gram is used in weighing letters, gold, and jewels, and in mixing medicines ; the kilogram, or, for brevity, kilo, is used in weighing common articles ; and the metric ton, in weighing very heavy articles.
2. The kilo is about 27 pounds ; and the metric ton, about 11 common tons.
3. Of the United States coinage, the nickel five-cent piece weighs 5 grams; two silver half-dollars, 25 grams; and 80 silver half-dollars, a kilo.
4. A letter sent for a single postage must not exceed the weight.of three nickels, or 15 grams.
18. In 5.658, how many decigrams ? How many centigrams?
19. In 5650 mg, how many centigrams? How many decigrams ?
20. In 6.315 kg, how many grams? In 4.670 T, how many kilos ?
21. What decimal part of a kilo is a gram? What decimal part of a metric ton is a kilo ?
22. At 20 cents a kilo, how many dollars will a metric ton of sugar cost ?
23. A tank has the capacity of 5.250 kiloliters. How many metric tons of pure water will it hold ?
24. I wish to weigh 8.75 Kg. How many silver half-dollars will serve for the weights ?