« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
93. If 6 barrels of flour cost 38f dollars, wha^ would 10 barrels cost at that rate?
94. What is y of 38f?
B. 1. A man bought a piece of cloth for 42£ dollars, and was obliged to sell it for f of what it cost him; how much did he lose?
2. A man bought a quantity of flour for 53f dollars, and sold it for f of what it cost him; how much did he gain?
3. If 7 men can do a piece of work in 4| days, how long will it take 1 man to do it? How long will it take 3 men to do it?
4. If 4 men can do a piece of work in 9f days, how long would it take to do it, if 7 men were employed 1
5. There is a pole standing so that -| of it is in the water, and § as much in the mud; how much is in the mud 1
6. If a man can travel 13f miles in 3 hours, how many miles will he travel in 8 hours 7
7. If 5 horses will eat 26J loads of hay in a year, what will 8 horses eat in the same time?
8. If 4 cocks' will empty a cistern in 6f hours, how long will it take 7 cocks of the same size to empty it?
A. 1. A Boy having 2 oranges wished to give £ of an orange apiece to his playmates; how many could he give them to? If he had given §• of an orange apiece, how many could he have given them to t
2. How many times £ are there in 21 How many times | are there in 21
3. A man having 3 bushels of corn distributed it among some poor persons, giving them J of a bushel each; to how many did he give it 1
Note. Find jirst how many he would have given it to, if he had given £ of a bushel to each.
4. In 3 are how many times £1 How many times £ 1
5. If | of a barrel of flour will last a family one month, how long will 4 barrels last the same family t How long will 6 barrels last 1 How long will 10 barrels last 1
6. How many times i3 § contained in 4 1 How many times in 0? How many timesjn 10?
7. Iff of a bushel of wheat will last a family one week, how many weeks will 6f bushels last the same family?
8. How many times is £ contained in 6| 1
9. There is a cistern having a cock which will fill it in § of an hour; how many times would the cock fill the cistern in 3| hours 1
10. How many times is § contained in 3| 1
11. How much cloth at 1£ dollars (that is f dollars) a yard can be bought for 4 dollars 1
12. How many times is \\ or f contained in 4?
13. A man distributed 8£ bushels of wheat among some poor persons, giving l£ bushels to each ; how many did he give it to 1
14. How many times is \\ contained in 8£?
15. If a soldier is allowed l£ pounds (that is £ of a pound) of meat in a day, to how many soldiers would 6| pounds be allowed?
16. How many times is l£ contained in 6| 1
17. If If tons of hay will keep a horse through the winter, how many horses will 10 tons keep?
18. How many times is If contained in 10?
19. At 2i dollars a box, how many boxes of raisins can be bought for 10 dollars?
20. How many times is 2^ contained in 10 1
21. At If dollars a pound, how many pounds of indigo can be bought for 9f dollars?
22. How many times is If contained in 9|?
23. At 1| dollars a barrel, how many barrels of raisins can be bought for 9^ dollars?
24. How many times is 1| contained in 9|?
25. At -J of a dollar apiece, how many pieces of nankin can be bought for 8f dollars?
26. How many times is f contained in 8f 1
27. At f of a dollar a pound, how many pounds of tea can be bought for 7§ dollars?
28. How majay times is £ contained in 7§?
29. How many times is 3£ contained in 7§?
30. How many times is 5£ contained in 17 1
31. How many times is 4| contained in 9| 1
32. How many times is 3^ contained in 12* 1
B. 1. At TVof a dollar a pound, how many pounds of meat can be bought for ^ of a dollar? Note. Change \ to tenths.
2. How many times is TV contained in £?
3. A man having £ of a barrel of flour distributed it among some poor persons, giving them } of a barrel apiece; how many did he give it to?
Note. Change both fractions to twelfths; that ?s, reduce them to a common denominator.
4. How many times is £ contained in f?
5. If a pound of almonds cost \ of a dollar, how many pounds can be bought for f of a dollar T
Note. Reduce the fractions to a common denominator.
6. How many times is | contained in f?
7. If a piece of nankin cost f of a dollar, how many pieces can be bought for 4f dollars 1 that is V dollars 1
8. How many times is § contained in 4f-?
9. If a bushel of barley cost J of a dollar, how
%any bushels can be bought for f of a dollar 1 How many for If dollars 7
10. How many times is f contained in J 1 How many times in If 1
11. How many times is ^ contained in f 1
12. How many times is $ contained in 11
TABLES OF COINS, WEIGHTS, AND MEASURES. Table L—Federal Money.
4 quarters make 1 hundred weight.
20 hundred weight" 1 ton.
* Table V.—Cloth Measure.
2£ inches make 1 nail.
4 nails " 1 quarter of a yard.
4 quarters 44 1 yard.
3 quarters " 1 ell Flemish.
5 quarters " 1 ell English.
6 quarters " 1 aune Ot ell French.
Table VI—Wine Measure.
Table VII.—Dry Measure.
2 pints make 1 quart.
8 quarts" 1 peck.
4 pecks " 1 bushel.
Table VIII.—Measure Of Time.
60 seconds sec.