« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
Hence the formulæ :
[Total Tax Poll Tax] • Total Valuation.
2. Each Citizen's Tax His Valuation X Rate + His Poll Тах.
PROBLEMS. 1. A certain town wishes to raise $1644 by taxation. The property of the town is assessed at $224,000. There are 400 polls, assessed at $0.75 each. What is the tax on $1 ?
2. At the above rate, what would be A.'s tax if he pays for real estate valued at $3655, for personal property valued at $980, and for 2 polls ?
3. If a tax-collector receives $54 for collecting $1800, what is his rate of commission ?
4. A tax-collector receives $180 for collecting taxes on a 3% commission. What is the amount collected ?
5. How many dollars on $1000 must be levied on $597,600 to raise $5976 tax ?
6. How much is a man taxed who was assessed for one poll $0.75, and on property valued at $5390, the rate being 1% ?
7. In a town whose taxable property is valued at $5,463,000 a tax of $9560.25 is raised. What is the rate of taxation ?
8. My property, which cost me $7800, is taxed at of its value. If my tax is $15.60, what is the rate of taxation ?
9. What sum must be assessed to raise $3750, besides paying 2% for collection? What would be the taxable valuation of property to raise that sum if the rate were .003275?
10. A tax of $14,250 is to be assessed on a town; the real estate is valued at $1,200,000 and the personal property at $750,000; there are 400 polls, each of which is taxed $1.50. What is the rate of taxation ?
11. What is the assessed value of property taxed $87.50 at the rate of 5 mills on a dollar ?
12. A tax of $28.50 is to be raised on a town, and sufficient besides to pay for collecting at 5%. If the rate is į cent on a dollar, what is the property worth ?
13. In a certain district a school-house is to be built at a cost of $18,527. What amount must be assessed to cover this and the collector's fees at 3%?
14. Find the entire tax that must be assessed in order that a town may receive $12,134 after the collector deducts his commission of 21%.
After the tax rate has been determined, the computation of a tax list is facilitated by the use of a table.
15. By using the table, find the tax on $8450.
400 6.00, 100 times .06.
$126.75. 16. In like manner find the tax of:
1. C. H. Anheier, on $910.
4. M. F. Dooley, on $9855.
$1.50. 9. C. P. Hatch, on $200,500, paying 5 polls, at $1.50. 10. E. J. Johnson, on $567,005, paying 2 polls, at
INDIRECT TAXES. 1. Indirect Taxes are levied upon merchandise. They consist of Duties, levied on imported goods, and of Internal Revenue, levied on domestic goods.
2. Duties are of two classes,-Specific and Ad Valorem.
3. Specific Duties are levied on each yard, pound, etc., of the article. Ad Valorem Duties are levied at a rate per cent. of the cost of the article in the country in which it was bought.
4. Specific Duties are computed on the net measure or weight, Tare being allowed for the weight of box or wrappings, and for Breakage, Leakage, etc.
NOTE.-In the examples that follow, the present tariff rates (1899) are used.
1. What is the duty on 1250 lbs. of desiccated apples imported at the rate of 2 cents per pound?
2. A merchant imported 1000 yd. of Brussels carpet costing in Europe 3 shillings per yd. What was the duty at 40%?
Process. £1 $4.8665; 1s. = $.243325; 3s. =.729975. .. The cost of 1000 yd. = 1000 X.729975= $729.975.
3. A merchant imported $1250 worth of silk beaded goods. What was the duty at 60% ?
4. What is the duty, at 3 cts. per lb., on 175 bags of coffee, each containing 115 lb., valued at 20 cts. per lb.
5. Find the duty on 100 boxes of Castile soap, containing each 110 lb., costing 20 liras per cwt., at 14 cts. per lb., tare allowed, 5%.
6. What is the duty on 400 boxes of cigars, each box containing 500 cigars, gross weight 400 lb., costing 80 cts. per lb. in Havana, at the rate of $4.50 per lb. and 25% ad valorem, together with the internal revenue tax of $3.00 per 1000 cigars ?
7. If an imported piano cost in Europe $200 and was subject to a duty in New York of 45%, at what price must it be sold to gain 25% ?
8. What is the duty, at 21 cts. a pound, on 3750 lb. of coffee, allowing 5% for tare ?
9. What is the duty on 500 lb. of raisins, in boxes, valued at 10 cts. a pound, allowing 15% for tare, when the duty is 21 cts. a pound ?
10. What is the duty, at 1} cts. per pound, on 7 T. of steel anvils, of 2240 lb. each, invoiced at 20 cts. a pound ?
11. An importer paid duties amounting to $386.75. If the duty was 25% of the value of the goods, what was their value?
12. What will be the duty, at 55 cents per sq. yd., on 6 pieces of cloth, each containing 54 yd., 32 in. wide ?
13. A merchant imported from Havana 25 hhd. of W. I. molasses, which was invoiced at 40 cents per gal. Allowing 3% for leakage, what was the duty at 6 cents a gallon ?
14. What is the duty, at 44 cents per lb., and 55% ad valorem, on 700 yd. of cloth, invoiced at $1.60 per yd., one yd. weighing 11 lb. ?
15. The duty on certain cotton goods is 51 cents per sq. yd., and 20% ad valorem. Find the duty on 267 pieces, 30 in. wide, each piece containing 37 yd., and costing 7 cents
16. I imported 100 tons of iron, costing 13d. per lb., on which I paid a duty of $4.00 per ton. The freight was 6s.
What was the entire cost in U. S. currency? 17. An importer bought 1000 pieces of certain goods at $40 per piece; the duty thereon was 50% ; the freight, etc., was $1200. How must the goods be sold to gain 25%?
18. A quantity of bookbinders' calf-skins cost $630, including $15 for freight and $102.50 for duty. What was the rate ad valorem?
19. If the importation of 83} doz. of gloves doubled their cost, which was 50 fr. per dozen, what was gained on each pair, and on the entire lot by selling them at $2.00 per pair?
20. Find the total cost of glassware on which $311.85 for duty at 45% ad valorem was paid, and 16% for breakage was allowed.
21. If the gross cost is $2630, the freight $100, the duty $330, what is the rate ?
22. 100 pieces of French goods were invoiced at $40 per piece; the duty paid was 50%; the freight, etc., amounted to $1500. How must they be sold to gain 20% ?
23. The invoice price of goods is $1.00 per yard; the ad