« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
10100 20,10 50,715 67,093 314),050 4765,089
7117,720 1,1X1,370 5,600,073 8,081,305 59,6X0,341 305,870,400
5:10,047,608 1,108,000,000 3,670,0019,397 45,(17,070,007 690,930, 101,700 .797,137,1X80),500 060,818,06:3,908
68,817,605 56,000), 08:34,750 703,720,000,857
16. Ten thousand and five. 17. Thirty thousand, five hundred, and four. 18. Sixty-seven thousand, and forty. 19. Five hundred thousand, and seventy-one. *20. Two hundred and seven thousand, six hund * 21. Four millions, sixty thousand, and cighty-fo
*22. Ninety-seven millions, thirty-five thousand, dred and five, X23. Fifty millions, seventy thousand, and eight. x 24. Three hundred millions, and fifty-seven.
25. Two billions, fifty-three millions, three hun five thousand, two hundred.
26. Fifty billions, two hundred and seven million seven thousand, t:vo hundred. X27. Eighty-seven millions, and sixty-three.
28. Six hundred billions, two hundred and seven t! and three.
29. Thirty-five trillions, nine millions, and fifty-ei
30. Six hundred and fifty-seven trilliens, seven ninety-seven thousand, and sixty-seven. x 31. Seventy millions, two hundred and fifty th three hundred and sixty-seven.
32. Four hundred and seven trillions, and eight; thousand.
33. Thirty-five billions, ninety-eight thousand, on dred. \ 34. Forty millions, two hundred thousand, and se four,
35. Eighty-three millions, seven hundred and sixty thousand, nine hundred and fifty-seven.
II. 1.* A man bought a watch for fifty-eight dolla cane for five dollars, a hat for ten dollars, and a pair of for six dollars. What did he give for the wisole ?
2. In an orchard there are six rows of trees; in the first
rows, there are fifteen trees in each row; in the 1 row, seventeen ; in the fourth row, eleven; in the fifth i
* See First Lessons, sect, I.
eight; and in the sixth row, nineteen. How many trees are there in the orchard ?
3. Four men bought a piece of land ; the first gave sixtythree dollars; the second, seventy-eight; the third, fortyfive; and the fourth, twenty-three. How much did they give for the land ?
4. In an orchard, 19 trees bear cherries, twenty-eight bear peaches, 8 bear plums, and 54 bear apples. How many trees are there in the orchard ?
5. How many days are there in a year, there being in January 31 days; in February 28; in March 31 ; in April 30; in May 31 ; in June 30; in July 31; in August 31 ; in September 30; in October 31; in November 30; in December 31 ?
6. The distance from Portland (in Maine) to Boston, is 114 miles ; from Boston to Providence, 40 miles ; from Providence to New Haven 122 miles; from New Haven to New York, 89 miles; from New York to Philadelphia, 95 miles; from Philadelphia to Baltimore, 102 miles; from Baltimore to Charleston, S. C. 716 miles; from Charleston to Savannah, 110 miles. How many miles is it from Portland to Savannah ?
7. What number of dollars are there in four bags; the first containing 275 dollars ; the second, 356 ; the third, 178; the fourth, 69 ?
8. How many times does the hammer of a clock strike in 24 hours ?
Note. At 1 o'clock it strikes once, at 2 o'clock it strikes twice, &c.
9. A man has four horses , the first is worth sixty-seven Collars; the second is worth cighty-four dollars ; the third is worth one hundred and twenty dollars; and the fourth is worth one hundred and eighty-seven dollars; and he has four saddles worth twelve dollars apicce. How much are the horses and saddles worth ?
10. A man owns five houses; for the first he receives a rent of 427 dollars; for the second, 763 dollars; for the third, 654 dollars ; for the fourth, 500 dollars; and for the fifth, 325 dollars ; and the rest of his income is 3,250 dollars. What is his whole income ?
11. A gentleman owns five farms; the first is worth 11,500 dollars; the second, 3,057 dollars; the third, 2,468 lollars ; the fourth, 9,462 dollars; and the fifth, 850 dollars;
How many trees are
; the first gave sixty ght; the third, fortyHow much did they
zies, twenty-eight bear
apples. How many
ear, there being in Jaarch 31; in April 30; n August 31; in Sepmber 30; in Decem
Vaine) to Boston, is ce, 40 miles; from
from New Haven to s to Philadelphia, 95 €, 102 miles; from es; from Charleston miles is it from Port
and he owns a house worth 15,000 dollars, a carri 753 dollars, and two horses worth 175 dollars apie much are they all worth ?
12 A merchant bought four pieces of cloth, e containing 57 yards. For the first piece he gave lars; for the second, 384 dollars; for the third, 3:2 and for the fourth, 486 dollars. How many yard: did he buy? How much did he give for the wholt
13. In 1818 the navy of the United States con three 74s ; five 44 gun frigates ; three 36s; two 20; ten 18s. How many guns did they all carry ?
14. Suppose it requires 650 men to man a 74 man a 44; 275 to van a 36 ; 350 to man a 32; 21 a 20; and 180 to man an 18. How many men take to man the whole ?
15. The hind quarters of a cow weighed one hun five pounds each ; the fore quarters weighied ni pounds each; the hide weighed sixty-three pounds ; tallow seventy-six pounds. What was the whole w the cow ?
16. A. man bought a barrel of flour for 6 dollars, it so as to gain 2 dollars. How much did he sell it
17. I bought a quantity of salt for 18 dollars, an for 7 dollars more than I gave for it; how much d it for ?
18. A man bought three hogsheads of molasses dollars, and sold it so as to gain 25 dollars ; how n he sell it for ?
19. A man being asked his age, answered was twenty-seven years old when he was marri that he had been married thirty-nine years. How he ?
20. A man being asked his age, answered that passed the 19 first years of his life in America, and had afterwards spent 7 years in Germany, 13 years
in 3 years in Holland, and 24 years in England. ] was he?
21. A merchant bought four hogsheads of wine hundred and thirty-seven dollars, and sold it again fo four dollars more than he gave for it. How much sell it for ?
22. A man commenced trade with three thousa hundred and fifty dollars ; after trading for somet
3 first is worth the third, 2,468 fth, 850 dollars;
found he had gained two hundred and thirty-seven dollars. How much had he then ?
23. Money was first made at Argos, eight hundred and ninety-four years before Christ. How long has it been in use at this date, 1822 ?
24. The war between Great Britain and the American colonies commenced in 1775 and continued 8 years. In what year was the war concluded ?
25. General Washington was born in the year 1732, and was 6 years old when he died. In what year did he die ?
26. The first tragedy was acted at Athens, on a cart, by Thespis, five hundred and thirty-six years before Christ. How many years is it since ?
27. What was the number of inhabitants in the New England States, in 1820, there being in Maine
298,335 New Hampshire
523,287 Rhode Island
275,248 ? 28. What was the number of inhabitants in the Mid dle States, there being in New York
1,372,812 New Jersey
407,350 ? 29. What was the number of inhabitants in the following States, there being in Virginia
1,065,366 North Carolina
638,829 South Carolina
153,407 ? 30. What was the number of inhabitants in the following States, there being in Ohio
and en in
rican - In
6 Arkansas Territory
] Michigan Territory District of Columbia
3 31. What was the whole number of inhabita United States in 1920 ?
32. Add together the following numbers ; 32,75 840,397; 47,640.
33. What is the sum of the following numbers ; : 30,804 ; 387,643 ; 13; 8,406,127; 4; 900,600 ?
34. What is the sum of the following numbers, t lions and seven thousand ; thirty-five ; four hun eighty-seven ; two thousand and forty-three; ninety lions, thirty-four thousand, and forty-two; and seve
MULTIPLICATION. III. 1 * What will two barrels of rum cost, at 27 a barrel ?
2. What will 3 hogsheads of molasses amount to dollars a hogshead ?
3. What will 14 pounds of veal come to, at 4 c pound?
4. What will seventeen pounds of beef cost, at five 4 pound?
5. What will five cows cost at 19 dollars apicce ? *6. What will 3 oxen cost at 47 dollars apiece ?
7. What cost 15 yards of cloth at 8 dollars a yard ? 8. What cost 26 barrels of cider at 4 dollars a barrel 9. What cost 98 barrels of flour at 7 dollars a barrel 10. What cost 794 barrels of flour at 9 dollars a barr
11. There is an orchard consisting of 9 rows of trees, there are 57 trees in each .row. How many trees are t in the orchard.
12. A man bought 8 pieces of cloth, each piece con ing 38 yards, at 7 dollars a yard. How inany yards v there, and what did he give for the whole ? 13. A man bought 9 pieces of broadcloth, each piece
* See First Lessons, sect. II.