« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
21. A boy bought a watch for $12 and sold it for $9. Ilow much did he lose? What per cent of the cost?
22. Robert paid $15 for an overcoat and sold it for $20. What per cent did he gain?
23. If I pay $2 for an article and sell it for $1, what per cent do I lose?
24. If a sheep is bought for $4 and sold at a gain of 25%, for how much is it sold! 25.
A man paid 50¢ for a knife and sold it at a loss of 10%. What did he get for it? 26.
If a grocer buys sugar at 4¢ a pound and sells it at 5¢ a pound, what per cent does he gain?
27. At what price must coffee which cost 15¢ a pound be sold to make a profit of 20%?
28. How much must be paid for a book marked $2, if 25% is taken off the marked price?
29. If $12 is 373% of my money, how much have I?
30. An organ which was marked $70 I bought for 10% less. Tell me what I paid for it.
31. Of a regiment of 1000 soldiers 5% were made prisoners. How many escaped ? 32.
How much must be paid for a bicycle, if the marked price is $75, and the discount, or the sum taken off, is 40%?
33. What per cent of the day has passed at 6 o'clock A. M.?
Oranges were bought at the rate of 2 for 5¢, and sold at 3¢ apiece. What per cent was gained?
35. A man who earned $60 a month had his salary increased 25%. He then earned $ a month. 36. If you get 6 cents interest for
100 cents you loan for a year, what per cent are you getting?
375. If a man borrows a horse, he does not pay for its use; if he hires the horse, he must pay the owner whatever is agreed upon.
When a man borrows money, he is usually required to pay something for its use. Money paid for the use of money is called Interest.
1. If you borrow $100 from me and agree to pay me 6% a year for its use, at the end of the year you must give me back the $100 and pay me the interest, which is 6% of $100, or $
2. If you borrow $100 at 4% a year, how much interest will you owe at the end of one year?
3. What is the interest of $100 for 1 year at 5%?
4. At 6%, what is the interest of $200 for 1 year? Of $500? Of $300?
5. At 4%, what is the interest of $300 for 1 year? For 2 years?
6. At 3%, what is the interest of $400 for 1 year? For 2 years?
7. Find the interest of $300 for 1 year at 5%. For 2 years.
8. At 6%, what is the interest of $200 for 6 months?
9. At 5%, what is the interest of $600 for 4 months ( yr.)?
10. At 6%, what is the interest of $200 for 1 year and 6 months (11 yr.)?
376. Find the interest of $200 for
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.
2 yr. @ 6% 5 yr. @ 6% 6 mo. @ 6% 3 mo. @ 6% 2 mo. @ 6% 9 mo. @ 6%
7. 2 yr. @ 8% 8. 6 yr. @ 8% 9.
3 yr. @ 3% 10.
4 mo. @ 3%
6 mo. @ 4% 12.
9 mo. @ 4%
Find the interest of $150 at 4% for 2 yr. 3 mo.
377. 1. A man bought a book for 56¢ and gave a silver dollar in payment. Count up the change.
2. How many handkerchiefs at 25¢ each can be bought for $3? 3.
Find the perimeter of a rectangle 8 ft. long and 50% as wide. 4.
If 6 men can build a stable in 8 days, how long would it take one man? 5.
If one man can build a wall in 32 days, how long would it take 4 men?
6. If 5 cows are worth 25 sheep, 8 cows are worth sheep.
7. How many pounds of butter at 12¢ a pound must be given for 3 lb. of coffee at 16¢ a pound?
8. At the rate of 3 for 5€, how many oranges can be bought for $1?
9. James bought 3 bushels of pears at $2 a bushel. Henry bought twice as many at the same price. How much did both pay?
10. Lemons were bought at the rate of 2 for 5¢, and sold at 3¢ apiece. Find the gain on a dozen.
A grocer paid 75¢ a bushel for potatoes and sold them at 254 a peck. How much did he gain on 10 bushels?
12. What is the ratio of a gallon to a pint?
13. A farmer had 40 sheep. Dogs killed one out of every 8. IIow many were not killed ?
14. If 10 men weigh a ton, what is the average weight of each man?
15. How many square inches in a rectangle 8 in. long and 25% as wide?
16. A rectangle 6 ft. long contains 18 sq. ft. What is its width? Draw the figure.
17. What is the perimeter of a square garden containing 25 square rods?
18. A man bought a hat for $2.65. What 4 pieces of money would exactly pay for it?
19. How many 2-inch squares are equal to a 6-inch square?
20. A lady having $20 gave 50% of it to her son and 50% of the remainder to her daughter. How much had she left?
21. If a horse trots 10 miles in an hour, how far does he trot in 6 minutes?
22. A man sold a cow for å of her cost. cent did he lose?
23. If $50 is š of my cash, how much have I?
24. Helen's age is 25% of her father's. If Helen's age is 8 years, what is her father's age?
25. Mr. Jones pays $300 a year for rent, which is 10% of the value of the house. In how many years will his rent amount to the value of the house?
Written Work. 378. 1. Find the cost of 25 bushels of wheat at $1.15 a bushel.
2. A sheep cost $4, a cow 6 times as much, and a horse 3 times as much as the cow. They all cost $
3. A grocer bought a barrel of vinegar containing 42 gallons at 15¢ a gallon. He sold it at 6¢ a quart. How much did he gain?