« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
35. If 3 bushels of wheat cost 51 dollars, what is it a bushel ? What will 2 bushels cost at that rate ?
36. What is f of 51 ? What is of 54 ?
37. If 4 dollars will buy 5bushels of rye, how much will one dollar buy? How much will 3 dollars buy?
38. What is £ of 53? What is of 5?
39. If 17 barrels of flour cost $107], what will 23 barrels cost ?
40. What is of 107!
41. If 12 cwt. of sugar cost $137), what is the price of 1 gr.
? What of 1 lb. ? 42. At 4 dollars for 3 gallons of wine, how much may be bought for 67. dollars ?
Note. Find how much } a dollar will buy.
43. If 3 cords of wood cost 20 dollars, what will 7} cords cost?
44. If 19 yards of cloth cost 155 dollars, what will be the price of 17 yards ?
45. If 18 lb. of raisins cost 24 dollars, what is that per Ib. ? What would be the price of 5 lb. at that rate ?
46. If 11 lb. of butter cost 23. dollars, what will 183 lb. cost ?
47. If 7 gallons of vinegar cost of a dollar, what will 27 gallons cost ?
48. If 1 lb. of sugar cost it of a dollar, what will 173 lb. cost ?
49. If a yard of cloth cost 71. dollars, what will is of a yard cost ?
50. At as of a dollar a yard, what will 4 of a yard of cloth cost ?
51. At 3 shillings a yard, what will 73 yards of riband cost ?
52. At 3 dollars a barrel, what part of a barrel of cider may be bought for of a dollar ?
53. At 4 dollars a yard, what part of a yard of cloth may be bought for } of a dollar ?
54. At 2 dollars a yard, how much cloth may be bought for 54 dollars ?
55. At 2 dollars a gallon, how much brandy may be bought for 7 dollars ?
56. At 3 shillings a quart, how many quarts of wine may be bought for 177 shillings?
57. At 6 dollars a barrel, how many barrels of flour may be bought for 45,3 dollars ?
58. If 1 cwt. of iron cost 4; dollars, what will 53 cwt. cost ?
59. A man failing in trade can pay only of a dollar on each dollar, how much can he pay on 71 dollars ? How much on 235 dollars ?
60. A man failing in trade is able to pay only is of a pound on a pound, how much can he pay on 17£. 15s. ?
61. A man failing in trade is able to pay only 17s. on a pound, what part of each pound will he pay? How much will he pay on a debt of 147£. 14s. ?
62. What is į of 37 ?
XVIII. 1. If 1 lb. butter cost of a dollar, how much will 2 lb. cost? What will 4 lb. cost ?
2. At į of a dollar per lb., what will 2 lb. of raisins cost? What will 3 lb, cost? What will 6 lb, cost ?
3. If 1 man will consume of a bushel of corn in a week, how much will 2 men consume in the same time? How
much will 4 men consume? How much will 8 men consume ?
4. If a horse will consume of a bushel of oats in a day, how much will he consume in 3 days ? How much in 9 days ?
5. If I man can do t'a of a piece of work in a day, how much of it can 2 men do in the same time? How much of it can 3 men do? How much of it can 4 men do? How much of it can 6 men do? How much of it can 12 men do?
6. If a man drink ao of a barrel of cider in a week, how much would he drink in 2 weeks ? How much would 5 men drink in a week at that rate? How much would 8 men drink in a week ? How much would 20 men drink in a week ? How much would 40 men drink in a week ?
7. If a horse consume 23 bushels of oats in a week, how much would he consume in 4 weeks? How much in 8 weeks ?
8. At 72 dollars a barrel, what cost 5 barrels of flour ?
9. If a horse will eat of a ton of hay in a month, how much will 2 horses eat? How much will 8 horses eat ?
10. If it take 12l yard of cloth to make a coat, how much will it take to make 8 coats? How much to make 24 coats?
11. If a barrel of cider cost 34% dollars, what will 10 barrels cost? What will 25 barrels cost ?
12. Multiply by 5.
Note. 8 times i=1; 8 times is 7 times as much, that is, 7. Perform the following examples in a similar manner.
22. How much is 7 times ?
29. Multiply 9 2017 by 1268. 30. Multiply 14166 by 1000.
XIX. 1.* A merchant bought 4 pieces of cloth, the first contained 18 yards, the second 27+ yards, the third 234 yards, and the fourth 25% yards. How many yards in the whole ?
2. A gentleman hired 2 men and a boy for 1 week. One man was to receive 50 dollars, the other 76, and the boy 37. How much did he pay the whole ?
3. A gentleman hired three men for 1 month. To the first he paid 26% bushels of corn ; to the second, 28,7 bush els, and to the third, 331bushels. How many bushels did it take to pay them ?
4. A man had 2 bushels of corn in one sack, and 2 in another ; how many bushels had he in both ?
5. If it takes l_ yard of cloth to make a coat, and s of a yard to make a pair of pantaloons, how much will it take to make both ?
6. A man bought 2 boxes of butter ; one had 7 lb. in it, and the other 107 lb. How many pounds in both ?
7. A boy having a pine apple, gave of it to one sister, } to another, and to his brother, and kept the rest himself. How much did he keep himself ?
8. A man bought 3 sheep; for the first he gave 6 dol lars; for the second, 85; and for the third, 9. How many dollars did he give for the whole ?
9. How many cwt. of cotton in four bags containing as follows; the first 41 cwt. ; the second, 5 cwt. ; the third 48. cwt; and the fourth 7 cwt. ?
io. A merchant bought a piece of cloth containing 23 yards, and sold 7} yards of it; how many yards had he left ?
11. A gentleman paid a man and a boy for 2 months' lapour with corn; to the man he gave 264 bushels, and to the boy he gave 18j bushels. How many bushels did it take to
pay both ?
12. Bought 8cwt. of sugar at one time, and 51 cwt. at another; how much in the whole !
13. Bought of a ton of iron at one time, and of a ton at another; how much in the whole ? 14. There is a pole standing so that of it is in the mud,
* See First Lessons, Sect, XIII.
of it in the water, and the rest above the water ; how much of it is above the water ?
15. A merchant bought 144 cwt. of sugar, and sold 86 cwt. ; how many lb. had he left?
Note. Reduce all fractions to their lowest terms, after the work is completed, or before if convenient. In the above example it might be reduced, but it would not be convenient because it now has a common denominator with H. The answer may be reduced to lower terms.
16. Out of a barrel of cider there had leaked 7 gallons : how many gallons were there left ?
17. A man bought 2 loads of hay, one contained 175 cwt. and the other 23,4 cwt. How many cwt. in both ?
18. A man had 434 cwt. of hay, and in 3 weeks his horse ate 51 cwt. of it ; how much had he left?
19. Two boys talking of their ages, one said he was 94 years old ; the other said he was 41 years older. What was the age of the second ?
20. A lady being asked her age, said that her husband was 37 years old, and she was not so old as her husband by 8 years. What was her age
? 21. A lady being asked how much older her husband was than herself, answered, that she could not tell exactly ; but when she was married her husband was 28 4 years old, and she was 22. What was the difference of their ages ?
22. Add together and N.
XX. 1. A man bought 15 cows for $345. What was the average price !
Note. Find the price of 3 cows, and then of 1 cow.
2. A merchant bought 16 yards of cloth for $84.64 ; what was it a yard ?