« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
eight; and in the sixth row, nineteen. How many trees are there in the orchard ?
3. Four men bought a piece of land; the first gave sixtythree dollars; the second, seventy-eight; the third, fortyfive; and the fourth, twenty-three. How much did they give for the land ?
4. In an orchard, 19 trees bear cherries, twenty-eight bear peaches, 8 bear plums, and 54 bear apples. How many trees are there in the orchard ?
5. How many days are there in a year, there being in January 31 days; in February 28; in March 31 ; in April 30; in May 31; in June 30; in July 31 ; in August 31 ; in September 30; in October 31 ; in November 30; in Decem-, ber 31 ?
6. The distance from Portland (in Maine) to Boston, is 114 miles; from Boston to Providence, 40 miles ; from Providence to New Haven 122 miles; from New Haven to New York, 88 miles ; from New York to Philadelphia, 95 miles; from Philadelphia to Baltimore, 102 miles; from Baltimore to Charleston, S. C. 716 miles; from Charleston to Savannah, 110 miles. How many miles is it from Portland to Savannah ?
7. What number of dollars are there in four bags; the first containing 275 dollars; the second, 356; the third, 178; the fourth, 69 ?
8. How many times does the hammer of a clock strike in 24 hours ?
Note. At 1 o'clock it strikes once, at 2 o'clock it strikes twice, &c.
9. A man has four horses ; the first is worth sixty-seven dollars; the second is worth eighty-four dollars; the third is worth one hundred and twenty dollars; and the fourth is worth one hundred and eighty-seven dollars; and he has four saddles worth twelve dollars apiece. How much are the horses and saddles worth?
10. A man owns five houses ; for the first he receives a rent of 427 dollars ; for the second, 763 dollars; for the third, 654 dollars; for the fourth, 500 dollars; and for the fifth, 325 dollars; and the rest of his income is 3,250 dole lars. What is his whole income?
11. A gentleman owns five farms; the first is worth 11,500 dollars; the second, 3,057 dollars, the third, 2,468 dollars ; the fourth, 9,462 dollars; and the fifth, 850 dollars ;
and he owns a house worth 15,000 dollars, a carriage worth 753 dollars, and two horses worth 175 dollars apiece. How much are they all worth ?
12 A merchant bought four pieces of cloth, each piece containing 57 yards. For the first piece he gave 235 dollars; for the second, 384 dollars ; for the third, 327 dollars ; and for the fourth, 486 dollars. How many yards of cloth did he buy? How much did he give for the whole ?
13. In 1818 the navy of the United States consisted of three 74s ; five 44 gun frigates ; three 36s; two 325; one 20; ten 18s. How many guns did they all carry ?
14. Suppose it requires 650 men to man a 74 ; 475 to man a 44; 275 to Nian a 36; 350 to man a 32; 200 to man a 20; and 180 to man an 18. How many men would it take to man the whole ?
15. The hind quarters of a cow weighed one hundred and five pounds each ; the fore quarters weighed ninety-four pounds each; the hide weighed sixty-three pounds; and the tallow seventy-six pounds. What was the whole weight of the cow ?
16. A man bought a barrel of flour for 6 dollars, and sold it so as to gain 2 dollars. How much did he sell it for?
17. I bought a quantity of salt for 18 dollars, and sold it for 7 dollars more than I gave for it; how much did I sell it for ?
18. A man bought three hogsheads of molasses for 132 dollars, and sold it so as to gain 25 dollars ; how much did he sell it for ?
19. A man being asked his age, answered that he was twenty-seven years old when he was 'married, and that he had been married thirty-nine years. How old was he ?
20. A man being asked his age, answered that he had passed the 19 first years of his life in America, and that he had afterwards spent 7 years in Germany, 13 years in France, 3 years in Holland, and 24 years in England. How old was he?
21. A merchant bought four hogsheads of wine for four hundred and thirty-seven dollars, and sold it again for ninetyfour dollars more than he gave for it. How much did he sell it for ?
22. A man commenced trade with three thousand, two hundred and fifty dollars ; after trading for some time, he
found he had gained two hundred and thirty-seven dollars. How much had he then ?
23. Money was first made at Argos, eight hundred and ninety-four years before Christ. How long has it been in use at this date, 1822 ?
24. The war between Great Britain and the. American colonies commenced in 1775 and continued 8 years. In what year was the war concluded ?
25. General Washington was born in the year 1732, and was 6 years old when he died. In what year did he die ?
26. The first tragedy was acted at Athens, on a cart, by Thespis, five hundred and thirty-six years before Christ. How many years is it since ?
27. What was the number of inhabitants in the New England States, in 1820, there being in Maine
298,335 New Hampshire
523,287 Rhode Island
275,248 ? 28. What was the number of inhabitants in the Mid dle States, there being in New York
1,372,812 New Jersey
407,350 ? 29. What was the number of inhabitants in the following States, there being in Virginia
1,065,366 North Carolina
638,829 South Carolina
153,407? 30. What was the number of inhabitants in the following States, there being in Ohio
581 434 Indiana
66,586 Arkansas Territory
14,273 Michigan Territory
8,896 District of Columbia
33,039? 31. What was the whole number of inhabitants in the United States in 1820 ?
32. Add together the following numbers ; 32,753 ; 2,047; 840,397; 47,640.
33. What is the sum of the following numbers ; 30; 843; 30,804 ; 387,643; 13; 8,406,127; 4; 900,600 !
34. What is the sum of the following numbers, three millions and seven thousand; thirty-five ; four hundred and eighty-seven ; two thousand and forty-three ; ninety-six millions, thirty-four thousand, and forty-two; and seventeen?
MULTIPLICATION. III. 1.* What will two barrels of rum cost, at 27 dollars a barrel ?
2. What will 3 hogsheads of molasses amount to, at 26 dollars a hogshead ?
3. What will 14 pounds of veal come to, at 4 cents a pound 4
4. What will seventeen pounds of beef cost, at five cents a pound ? 5. What will five cows cost at 19 dollars apiece ? 6. What will 3 oxen cost at 47 dollars apiece ? 7. What cost 15 yards of cloth at 8 dollars a yard ? 8. What cost 26 barrels of cider at 4 dollars a barrel ? 9. What cost 98 barrels of flour at 7 dollars a barrel ? 10. What cost 794 barrels of flour at 9 dollars a barrel ?
11. There is an orchard consisting of 9 rows of trees, and there are 57 trees in each row. How many trees are there in the orchard.
12. A man bought 8 pieces of cloth, each piece containing 38 yards, at 7 dollars a yard. How many yards were there, and what did he give for the whole ? 13 A man bought 9 pieces of broadcloth, each piece con?
* See First Lessons, sect. II.
taining 47 yards, at 6 dollars à yard ; and 25 barrels of flour at ng dollars a barrel. What did he give for the whole ?
14. A merchant bought a hogshead of wine, at the rate of 2 dollars a gallon ; what did it co.ne to ?
4 gills (gl.) make 1 pint
marked 2 pints
1 quart 4 quarts
gal. 31; gallons
1 barrel or half hhd. bbl. 63 gallons
hhd. 2 hogsheads
1 pipe or butt 2 pipes
T. By this measure brandy, spirits, perry, cider, mead, vinegar, and oil are measured.
15. At 3 dollars a gallon, what will 2 pipes of wine cost ? 16. At 4 cents a gill, what will 1 pint of brandy cost ? 17. At 5 cents a gill what will l quart of wine cost ? What will 1 gallon cost ?
Note. Since 100 cents make 1 dollar, it will be easy to tell how many dollars there are in any number of cents.
18. At 8 cents a quart, what will i hhd. of molasses come to ?
19. How many pints are there in 87 quarts ? 20. How many gills are there in 174 pints ? 21. How many quarts are there in 1 hhd. of wine ? 22. How many quarts are there in 4 hhds. of brandy? 22. How many pints are there in one hhd. of inolasses ? 24. How many pints are there in 1 pipe ? 25. How many gills are there in 1 hhd ? 26. How many gills are there in 1 T. ? 27. How many quarts in 8 gals. 2 quarts ? 28. How many pints in 4 gals. 3 qts. 1 pint ? 29. How many gallons in 3 hhds. 42 gals. ? 30. How many quarts in 1 p. 1 hhd. ? 31. How many pints in 1 hhd. 35 gals. 3 qts. 1 pt. ? 32 How many gills in 3 hhds. 27 gals. 1 qt. 1 pt. 3 gls. ? 33. A man having 1 T. of wine, retailed it at 5 cents a gill, how much did it come to ?
34. A man bought a quarter of beef, weighing 237 pounds, 7 cents a pound. How much did it cost ? 35. How many are 3 times 784 ?