« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
RULE. —Find such a part of the gain or loss as each partner's capital is of the whole capital.
The result will be each partner's gain or loss.
2. A, B and C engaged in business, employing $20000 capital, of which A furnished $7000, B $7000, and C $6000. They gained in one year $6000. What was each partner's share?
3. Three men engage in business. A furnishes $3000 of the capital, B $6000 and C $4000. If they gain $2600, what is each partner's share?
4. Three men engaged in land speculation. A furnished $10000, B $8000 and C $12000. They lost in one year $6000. What was the loss of each partner?
5. A, B and C furnish capital to engage in business as follows: A $2500, B $2000 and C $3500. If the firm loses $640, what is the loss of each partner?
6. A, B, C and D engaged in buying produce. A contributed $8000, B $10000, C $9000 and D $13000. They gained $3000. What was each partner's share of the gain?
7. D and G furnish capital to engage in business and L does the work for of the profits; D contributes $8000 and G 10000 of the capital. They gain $5400. What is each one's share of the gain?
8. E, F and G bought a block of stores for $46000. E furnished ß of the money, F $11500 and G the rest. The property was sold for $48300. What was the gain of each?
9. A, B and C engage in business. A furnishes $6470, B $5420 and C $3410 capital. If they gain $6490.75, what is the gain of each?
10. Four persons rented conjointly a pasture containing 125 A. 60 sq. rd., for $3.75 an acre. A fed 125 sheep upon it, B 145 sheep, C 175 sheep, and D 340 sheep. How much rent should each one pay ?
11. Three men engaged in business. A furnished $6000 and B $8000. They gained $4200, of which C's share was $1400. What was the gain of A and B and C's stock ?
12. Five men trade in partnership. A furnishes $500, B $600, C $800, D $1000 and E $1200 capital. They gain $2750. What is the gain of each partner?
13. A, B and C bought a farm in partnership. A paid } the purchase money, B į and C the rest. They sold it at a gain of $3000. What was each one's share of the profit?
472. When the capital of the partners is employed for different periods of time.
1. A began business with $6000 capital. At the end of 6 months he took in B as a partner, who furnished $5000 additional capital. If the gain, after 6 months more, was $3400, what was each partner's share of the gain ?
ital of $6000 was used $6000 X 12=$72000
for 12 months, and was $5000 x 6 -$30000
therefore equal to the $102000
use of $72000 for 1
month. B's capital 10% of $3400=$2400, A's share.
of $5000 was used for 30 of $3400=$1000, B's share. 6 months, which was
equal to the use of $30000 for 1 month. Both together had invested sums of money which were equal to the use of $102000 for 1 month, of which A contributed a sum equal to $72000 for 1 month, or us, and he was therefore entitled to 12 of the gain, or $2400.
B contributed a sum equal to $30000 for 1 month, or
and was therefore entitled tu Bols of the gain, or $1000.
RULE.—Find such a part of the entire gain or loss, for each partner's share of the gain or loss, as the capital of each partner for a unit of time, is of the entire capital for a unit of time.
2. A engaged in business with a capital of $4000. After 3 months he took in B with a capital of $6000, and in 6 more, C became a partner, with a capital of $8000. At the end of 18 months the profits were $9360. What was each partner's share of the gain?
3. A, B and C engage in business together. A puts in $4000 capital for 8 months, B $6000 for 7 months, and D $3500 for one year. If they gain $2320, what is each partner's share of the gain?
4. B, C and D entered into partnership, furnishing a joint capital of $5875, of which В furnished 20%, C 35%, and D the rest. B's capital was employed 15 months, C's 9 months, and D's 10 months. They lost $2502.75. What was each partner's loss?
5. A, B and C took a contract to build a block of stores. A furnished 20 men for 3 months, B 25 men for 31 months, and C 15 men for 4 months. After paying the expenses the profits were $1475. What was the share of each ?
6. A, B and C lost $8500 by speculating in real estate. A furnished $5000 of the capital which was employed for 1 year, B $8000 for 10 months, and C $10000 for 6 months. What was each one's share of the loss ?
7. A, B and C engaged in manufacturing rope and cordage. A invested $4500 for 6 months, B $5000 for 8 months, and C $6500 for 7 months. They gained $4500. What was the gain of each partner?
8. G, L and F entered into partnership. G furnished $1200, L $1500, and F $3000. After 6 months F withdrew $2000 of his capital. If at the end of a year the profits were $2200, what part of the profits belonged to each partner?
473. 1. A was employed on a piece of work 6 days, and B 12 days on the same work. How does the number of days A worked compare with the number of days B was employed?
2. A laborer earned $12 a week, and spent $6. How decs what he spent compare with what he earned ?
3. How does $3 compare with $9? $4 with $12? $6 with $18?
4. How does 2 compare with 10? 3 with 18? 5 with 25 ?
5. What relation has 2 to 12? 3 to 21? 4 to 28 ?
7. How does 8 compare with 2? What is the relation of 8 to 2 ?
8. How does 9 compare with 3? What relation has 9 to 3?
9. What relation has 24 to 8? 30 to 6? 25 to 4?
11. What is the relation between 6 and 9? Between 8 and 92
12. What is the relation of 8 to 9? Between 8 and 9 ? 13. What the relation of 12 to 4? Between 12 and 4? 14. What is the relation of 15 to 5? Between 15 and 5? 15. What is the relation of 16 to 8? Between 16 and 8? 16. What is the relation of 25 to 5? Between 25 and 5 ?
474. Ratio is the relation of one number to another of the same kind.
1. This relation is expressed either as quotient of one number divided by the other, and is called Geometrical Ratio, or simply Ratio, or, as the difference between two numbers, and is called Arithmetical Ratio.
2. When it is required to determine what the relation of one number to another is, it is evident that the first is the dividend, and the second the divisor.
3. When it is required to determine the relation between two numbers, cither may be regarded as dividend or divisor.
4. The first number is commonly regarded as the dividend.
475. The Terms of a Ratio are the numbers compared.
476. The Antecedent is the first term.
477. The Consequent is the second term.
The colon (:) is sometimes regarded as the sign of division without the line. Thus, 12 : 8 is regarded as 12 = 8.
479. The antecedent and consequent together form a Couplet.
480. PRINCIPLES.—1. The terms of a ratio must be like numbers.
2. The ratio is an abstract number.
3. Multiplying or dividing both terms of a ratio by the same number does not change the ratio of the numbers.