« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
PRELIMINARY GENERAL EXAMINATION.-Midsummer, 1860.
TUESDAY, June 26th.-Morning, 101 to 11.
ENGLISH GRAMMA R.
1. Explain the nature and use of the “parts of speech," and give the exact meaning and derivation of the terms employed to denote them.
2. What are the different methods of forming the plural of \ nouns ? State and account for the exceptional forms.
3. Classify and define the various kinds of pronouns.
4. What is meant by the smoods” and “tenses of verbs ? Show what real tenses the English verb has, and how its deficiencies of inflexion are supplied.
5. Write out the past tense and past participles of the following verbs :-Come, go, bear, leave, rise, raise, hold, make, swim, write.
6. What is meant by the terms “prefix” and “ suffix ?” Give examples, stating from what language each is derived, its exact meaning, and its force in combination.
7. From what sources is the language now spoken in England derived, and at what time did it assume its present form ?
8. Name the authors who have contributed most largely to the establishment of a standard for the English language.
9. Parse and analyse the first sentence of the following extract, and turn the whole passage into prose ::
“So sleep the good, who sink to rest,
By all their country's wishes blest.
To dwell, a weeping hermit there." 10. Write a short composition on one of the following subjects, paying particular attention to the spelling, to the use of the stops, and to the capital letters.
a. The history of some scientific discovery. 16. The life of some distinguished man. C. An account of any one of the manufactures carried on in
Great Britain. d. A brief narrative of the principal events in the reign of any