« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
PRELIMINARY GENERAL EXAMINATION.- Midsummer, 1861.
TUESDAY, June 4th. Afternoon, 31 to 5.
I. GEOMETRY. 1. Distinguish between a plane angle and a plane rectilineal angle; also between an axiom and a postulate ; and define a right angle, a rhombus, and parallel straight lines.
2. From the greater of two given straight lines to cut off a part equal to the less. Quote any axioms or postulates used in the proposition.
3. If two straight lines cut one another, the vertical or opposite angles shall be equal.
4. Straight lines which are parallel to the same straight line are parallel to one another.
5. If a straight line be bisected and produced to any point the rectangle contained by the whole line thus produced and the part of it produced, together with the square of half the line bisected, is equal to the square of the straight line which is made up of the half and the part produced.
were come on
II, ALGEBRA. 1. If x=jy= * %, find the value of 24 +3.xoy + 3 xz? +y3 – 23
23 + 3y2 % +xy 2. Divide 4 - 4.23 34x2 + 763 105 by X – 7.
3x2 + 3x 2 3. Reduce
to its lowest terms.
3 4 (ii.)
2+1 x + 2 x+3
10x — = 69 (iii.) 10y
7 5. A person purchased apples at 3 a penny, as many more at 4 a penny, and as many more at 7 a penny, and on selling them all at 6 a penny, he lost 4s. 9d.: how many did he buy?
PRELIMINARY GENERAL EXAMINATION.- Midsummer, 1862.
MONDAY, June 9th.-Morning, 10% to 12.
ENGLISH GRAMMA R.
Examiner-Dr. E. ADAMS.
1. When were words of Classical origin introduced into the English language ?
2. Name the Classical Prefixes corresponding in meaning with down-, out-, before-, between-, under-, over-, through-, with two examples of each.
3. Give the plurals of the following words :-Strife, life, echo, V. canto, alkali, court-martial, Frenchman, German, sky, valley, stratum, series, genus.
4. Mention any nouns with two forms of the Plural, and give the meaning of each form,
5. Mention any nouns which have no singular, and any which have no Plural.
6. What is meant by Comparative and Superlative ? How are they usually expressed ? Mention any irregular forms.
7. Mention six Pronominal Adverbs, and name the Pronoun from which each is formed.
8. Give the Past (Indefinite) and the Perfect Participle of think, shut, lay, climb, sing, thrive, chide, slay, build. 9. Parse :
“Soon shall thy arm, unconquered steam, afar
The flying chariot through the fields of air." 10. Write a short composition on one of the following subjects:
(a.) A description of some animal, plant, or mineral.