« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
PRELIMINARY GENERAL EXAMINATION.
- Midsummer, 1864.
WEDNESDAY, June 29th.-- Morning, 12 to 1}.
[N.B.-Only six of the following Questions are required to be answered. Any six may be
selected by the Candidate.]
1. Write a brief account of the physical features of England . and Wales-high and low grounds, river basins, and mineral districts. Name the mountain-tracts that extend along the west side of the island.
2. Name a town situated on each of the following rivers—Tees, Ribble, Trent, Aire, Witham, Soar, Cherwell, Stour (Kent), Avon (Wiltshire), Wey, Kennet, and Nen. Name also the county to which each town belongs.
3. Name six principal rivers in Scotland; also six in Ireland, with a town situated on each.
4. In sailing along the western shores of the European continent, from Gibraltar to the North Cape, what important headlands, and what river-mouths, would be passed ? Name them in proper geographical succession.
5. In what countries, and on what rivers, are-Prague, Dresden, Florence, Saragossa, Lyons, Pesth, Cologne, Cracow, Breslau, Magdeburg, Orleans, and Avignon ?
6. State the localities of—Ivry, Lutzen, Blenheim, Ramillies, Pultowa, Marengo, Austerlitz, Jena, Talavera, Torres Vedras, Borodino, and Solferino.
7. Where are—Troyes, Cambray, Nantes, Breda, Ryswick, Aix-la-Chapelle, Utrecht, Belgrade, Fontainebleau, Amiens, Verona, and Adrianople?
8. Name the six Australian colonies, with the capital of each. Say which of them is insular, and by what strait it is divided from the Australian mainland. What are the chief commercial productions of Australia ?
9. In what parts of the world are volcanic eruptions and earthquakes most frequent ? Name six or more of the best-known active volcanoes, with their localities.
10. What are the trade winds ? State the received theory as
1. Find the difference between 23457 fourpenny pieces and go dno
2. How many years are there in 8640000 seconds ? 14wlis - days
3. If I have a mixture of teas weighing 1260 lbs., of which 100 lbs. were purchased at 3s. 4d. a pound ; 260 lbs. at 4s. 6d. per pound; 400 lbs. at 28. 8d. per pound; what did I give per pound for the rest, supposing the whole mixture cost me £228. 10s. ?
4. Add į of £1. 2s. 6d. ; of £3. 18. 5d.; and of £5. 108. Od. together.
5. If, on a straight road, stones be placed at intervals of 50 feet, and a measuring tape of 15 yards be used; how often will the 1574 end of the tape coincide with a stone in a distance of one mile ?
6. Find the value of 1.25 +2.5-1.75 +3.05 – 1.025.
7. Multiply 1.025 by 25.255, and divide the result by .0255. x
8. Reduce 2s. 6 d. to the fraction of 3s. 8d., and 58. 4d. to the decimal of 6s. 81d.
9. Divide 120 lbs. into quantities having the ratio 1, 2, 3, 4; and 240 lbs. into the ratios of , , , ,
10. Find the value of
58 = 3