« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
99. Written Problems.
1. How many cocoanuts can be bought for 84 cents, if each costs 7 cents ?
2. How many barrels of flour can be bought for $54, if each barrel costs $6 ?
3. How many barrels of flour could be bought for $54, if the price should go up to $9 per barrel ?
4. A family uses 10 pounds of flour per day; how much is used in 8 days ? How much is used in 9 days ?
5. A farmer bought 5 plows at $8 each, and a wagon for twice as much as all the plows cost; how much did he pay for the plows and the wagon ?
6. If a cord of wood costs $4, how much do 7 cords cost? How much do 8 cords cost ?
7. If a horse can walk 5 miles every hour, how many miles can he walk in 7 hours ?
8. If a man sleeps 8 hours per day, how many hours does he sleep in 6 days?
9. If a man works 6 days per week, how many days does he work in 8 weeks?
10. How many days are in 7 weeks? How many weeks are in 49 days?
II. An orchard has 7 rows of trees, 8 trees to the row; how many trees are in the orchard ? 12. Divide 56 by 7. Divide 56 by 8.
13. A farmer's plow-hands plow 8 acres per day; in how many days will they plow 64 acres ?
100. Oral Exercises.
1. Here is a square inch. How many inches all around ?
2. Draw a square 2 inches on every side. How many inches all around?
3. A man built a fence around a square lot. The fence was 80 yards long. How long was each side ?
109. Oral Problems.
1. A man worked 9 hours a day for 6 days; how many hours did he work? Is that 6 times 9, or 9 times 6?
2. A man worked 6 hours a day for 9 days; how many hours did he work?
3. A boy bought 8 quarts of berries at 7 cents a quart; how much did he pay? Is that 8 times 7 cents, or is it 7 times 8 quarts ? 56=8=what quotient ?
4. A girl gave 6 playmates 6 pecans each ; how many did she give? Is that 6 times 6 playmates, or is it 6 times 6 pecans ? 36 = 6=what quotient ?
5. A boy paid 56 cents for 7 quarts of berries ; how much did each quart cost? 56 + 7 = what quotient ?
6. A boy paid 56 cents for berries at 8 cents a quart; how many quarts did he get? 7x8= what product?
111. Written Problems.
1. Albert is 19 years old; his father is 3 times as old as Albert; how old is Albert's father ?
2. December has 31 days, January 31, and February 28; how many days are in the three winter months ?
3. In a leap-year February has 29 days; how many weeks? How many days over ?
4. A farmer feeds his hogs a bushel of corn every 8 days; how much corn does he give them in 64 days?
5. There are 8 rows of trees with 9 trees in each row; how many trees are there in all ?
6. If a river runs 6 miles per hour, in how many hours does it run 132 miles ?
7. If a man pays $20 per month for board, how much does he pay in 8 months ?
8. A farmer has 32 acres in cotton, 54 acres in corn, and 26 acres in oats; how many acres in all ?
9. In a barrel was 87 pounds of sugar; 8 pounds per day was used for six days; how much was left ?
10. In a town there are 542 pupils in the primary grades, 316 in the intermediate grades, and 120 in the high school grades; how many pupils are there in all ?
11. In two years a farmer raised 950 bushels of oats; the first year he raised 479 bushels; how many bushels did he raise the second year?
12. A merchant sold 9 boxes of soap, each box weighing 108 pounds; what was the weight of the 9 boxes ?