« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
162. Oral Questions.
1. How many are twice 20, added to half of 20 ? How much is half of 20, subtracted from twice 20 ?
2. How much is half of 40 ? Half of 20? How many are 40 = 2 ? 20= 2 =? 40 - 4= ?
3. How many quarters make a dollar ? How many quarters make a half-dollar ?
4. How many cents are in a quarter of a dollar? How many cents are in half of a half-dollar ?
5. John has 8 fingers, and one fourth as many thumbs; how many thumbs and fingers has he?
6. Lucy found 4 eggs, and Rose found one fourth as many; how many did they both find ?
7. Tom has 4 marbles, and George has 3 times one fourth as many; how many has George ?
8. How many dimes are in 20 cents ? ; of 20 =? How many nickels are in 20 cents ? ; of 20= ?
165. Written Problems. — Miscellaneous.
1. If Mary shares her 72 chestnuts equally with her 4 brothers and 4 sisters, how many chestnuts does she keep?
2. One end of a bridge stretches 50 feet over the land ; the other end stretches 40 feet over the land ; the middle part stretches 52 feet over the water; how long is the bridge ?
3. In a journey from home John rode 36 miles per day for 5 days; how far from home was he at the end of the fifth day?
4. A farmer raised 180 bushels of wheat on 9 acres ; how many bushels did he raise per acre (average) ?
5. From a cistern containing 1500 gallons of water, 35 gallons is used daily for 8 days; how many gallons remain ?
6. How many full weeks are there in 365 days?
7. How many miles can a railroad train run in 12 hours, if it run 25 miles per hour ?
8. At what rate per hour does a train run 150 miles in 6 hours ?
9. If a cow gives each day 5 quarts of milk at night, and 6 quarts in the morning, how many quarts does she give in 4 days?
10. A merchant has three clerks; to one he pays 125 dollars per month, to another 95 dollars per month, and to the third 75 dollars per month ; how much to the three ?
170. Oral Questions.
1. What part of $1 is 50 cents ? What part of $1 is $.25? What part of $.50 is $.25?
2. Mary has $.25, and Lucy has $.25; what part of a dollar have they both ?
3. How many cents is one fourth of $.20? of $.12?
4. If 2 boys share equally $.50, what will each have ? If 4 boys share equally $1, what will each have ?
5. A teacher bought 8 books at a quarter of a dollar each; how much did he pay?
6. A man paid $.25 apiece for 6 packages of postal cards; how much did he pay for all ?
171. $.25 means twenty-five cents. $1.25 means 1 dollar and 25 cents. The dot between dollars and cents is called the Decimal Point.
172. Written Exercises.
1. Write in figures two dollars and twenty-five cents.