« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
176. Written Problems,
1. A cotton-picker earned Monday 8.75, Tuesday $.75, and Wednesday $.75; how much in the three days?
2. How much rent is paid in 12 months for a house that rents at $28 a month ?
3. Mary has $1.15, Lucy has $.85, and Ida has $1.05; how much do the three girls have ?
4. Frank had $12.75, and spent all but $3.90; how much did he spend ?
5. A farmer paid $1 359 for land at $9 per acre; how many acres did he buy?
6. A ranchman sold 39 head of cattle at $19 a head; how much did he get for all ?
7. Lewis bought half a dozen collars at 8.25 each, and a hat for $2.50; what did he pay for the collars and the hat?
8. Mr. Johnson's farm is worth $6 000; his stock and implements are worth $1 915; how much are all worth?
177. Oral Questions.
1. How much more is $1 than 50 cents? How many cents make a dollar ? How much more is $1 than $.75 ? How much more is $1 than $.25? 100 – 25 = ?
2. What is half of $1.50? What is a fourth of $3?
3. If 4 bushels of corn cost $2.00, what is the cost of 1 bushel ? of 2 bushels ? of 3 bushels ?
4. If 4 bushels of corn cost $2.00, what is the cost of half a bushel ?
5. A man needs $5.00: he can earn $1.25 per day; in how many days can he earn the $5.00 ?
6. But he has to spend $1.00 per day; how much can he save in a day?
7. If he can save $.25 per day, in how many days can he save $1.00? In how many can he save $5.00 ?
8. If 1 pound of coffee costs $.25, what will 12 pounds cost? What will 6 pounds cost? 3 pounds ?
2. If 10 pounds of coffee cost $2.50, what should 1 pound cost?
178. Written Exercises. — Topical.
Find products : 1. $789. 2. $45.40 3. $615.95 9 9
179. Find quotients :
9,87 101.98408.608)94927.60 7785091.45
181. Oral Exercises.
1. A man has a square yard, 100 feet on each side ; how far all around ?
2. Another man has a yard that is 100 feet wide and 200 feet long; how far all around ?
3. A square 3 inches to the side is how many inches all around?
4. A plank 120 inches long and 8 inches wide is how many inches all around ?
5. A square field is 800 yards all around ; how long is one side? 3 sides ? 2 sides?
6. A room is 18 feet long and 20 feet wide; how many feet all around?
7. A square room is 88 feet all around; how long is each side?
182. Oral Problems. — Miscellaneous.
1. Fred's father weighs 160 pounds; Fred weighs half as much ; how much does Fred weigh? How much do both weigh?
2. If there is in 1 newspaper one half of 16 pages, how many pages are in 9 such newspapers ?
3. Mary had 12 bananas; Lucy bought half as many, and paid 12 cents for them ; how much did she pay for each?
4. Mr. Brown bought 10 pounds of sugar, giving the dealer 5 cents per pound; how much did he pay? But the dealer said that the price was 51 cents per pound; Mr. Brown then paid the dealer 1 cent more on every pound; how much did he pay the second time? How much did he pay in all ?
5. A man bought 10 pounds of sugar at 51 cents per pound; how much did he pay? 10x5= ? 10 halves = ?
6. Three boys went fishing, and caught 36 perch; John caught half of them, Fred caught 8, and Harry caught all the others ; how many did Harry catch ?
7. A farmer had 40 acres in cotton; on half of it he made a bale to every 2 acres, and on the other half one fourth of a bale per acre ; how many bales did the 40 acres produce ?
8. Fred walked 2 hours at the rate of 27 miles per hour; how many miles did he walk ?
9. What must be paid for 4 pairs of shoes at $27 per pair ?
10. A horse trotted half an hour at the rate of 8 miles an hour, and walked half an hour at the rate of 4 miles an hour. How many miles did he go?
11. Mrs. Jones sold 4 ducks at $.50 each ; how many dollars did she get ? In 200 cents how many dollars ?
12. Mrs. Brown sold 8 chickens at $.25 each; how many dollars did she get? 8x25= ?
13. Lucy had 3 apples, which she divided equally between her 2 sisters; what did each get ?
14. Six boys spent $.25 each ; how much did all
15. What will 6 dozen eggs cost at $.25 per dozen ?
16. John swam across the river and back; in all he swam 150 feet; how wide is the river? What is half of 150 ? 150 - 2=? 300-4=?
183. Written Problems. — Miscellaneous.
1. In one year a laborer worked 98 days on a cotton farm, 76 days getting cross-ties for a railroad, and 48 days clearing land. How many days did he work ?
2. A flat car has on it 37 bales of cotton, averaging 478 pounds to the bale ; what is the total weight?
3. A man bought a cow for $25; he paid 16 bushels of corn at $.50 per bushel, and the balance in money; how much cash did he pay?
4. A farmer sold 75 bushels of corn at 55 cents a bushel, and 62 bushels of wheat at 85 cents a bushel; how much did he get ?