« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
206. Oral Problems.
1. A bushel of wheat weighs 60 pounds; what is the weight of 3 bushels ?
2. How many feet in 156 inches ?
3. If each of 3 mules eats a bundle of fodder 3 times a day, how many bundles do they all eat in 3 days?
4. If a cow gives each day 5 quarts of milk at night, and 6 quarts in the morning, how many quarts does she give in a week ?
5. If it takes 51 yards of barbed wire to weigh 1 pound, how many pounds do 11 yards weigh?
6. If a clock loses 14 minutes per hour, how many minutes will it lose in 24 hours ?
7. If 55 pounds of sweet potatoes make 1 bushel, how many pounds make 4 bushels ?
8. If 64 pounds of oats make 2 bushels, how many pounds make 1 bushel ?
207. Written Exercises. - Topical.
How many times does $1.32 contain $.06 ?
This is the same as dividing 132 22 times
cents by 6 cents.
208. Written Problems.
1. There are 8800 yards in 5 miles ; how many yards are there in 1 mile ?
2. A bale of cotton brought $53.46 at 8.11 per pound; what was the weight of the bale ?
3. Subtract six hundred nine from two thousand one hundred ten.
4. From a cistern 34 gallons of water per day were drawn for watering stock, and 63 gallons for all other uses; how many gallons were drawn in 2 weeks ?
5. Mrs. Willis bought flannel for 3 dresses of 9 yards each, at $.12 per yard; how much did she pay?
6. A railway ticket for 155 miles at $.03 per mile will cost how much?
7. A railway ticket at $.03 per mile costs $4.65; what is the distance ?
8. When a man picks 1 350 pounds of cotton in 9 days, how much does he pick per day?
9. If double desks for a school cost $4.50 each, how much does it cost to seat 50 pupils ?
10. A boy goes to school 5 weeks, and studies 5 hours per day on school days, and 2 hours per day on Saturdays; how many hours does he study in the 5 weeks?
11. How many hours of this week have gone by ?
12. One hundred eighty-seven is how many times seventeen?
13. What number must be added to 907 to make 9007 ?
213. Oral Problems.
1. If a dozen large fish-hooks cost $.15, what ought 4 such hooks to cost ?
2. If sweet milk sells at $.10 per quart, and buttermilk at $.05 per quart, how much must be paid for 5 quarts of sweet milk and 10 quarts of buttermilk ?
3. Lucy bought postal cards for $.15, and 5 twocent stamps ; how much did she pay?
4. If 10 eggs weigh 1 pound, bow many pounds should 5 dozen weigh?
5. A 49-pound sack of flour is a quarter of a barrel ; how many pounds make a barrel of flour ?
6. If 49 lb. flour cost $1.50, what should a bbl. cost?
7. When ice is selling at $.011 per pound, what will 10 pounds cost?
8. At $.03 per mile for railway travel, for what distance will $2.25 pay?
9. If it takes 14 pounds of soap each week for a family's washing, how many pounds will it take in 20 weeks ?
10. At $3.75 a pair, what must be paid for 10 pairs of shoes?
II. A boy sold 15 papers at 2 cents each, and 13 papers at 5 cents each ; how much did he get for all ?
12. What number is a quarter of seven times eight? 13. How many inches are in 3 yards ?
14. At $22.50 per acre, how much is paid for 100 acres of land ?
214. Written Problems.
1. In 1 mile there are 1760 yards ; how many feet are there in 1 mile ?
2. If Frank lives half a mile from school, how many yards must he walk each week to go and come?
3. A physician made in 1 month 96 day-visits at $2 each, and 27 night-visits at $3 each ; how much did he charge for all?
4. A cook prepares 3 meals a day for the week-days, and 2 meals Sundays; how many meals does she prepare in 7 weeks ?
5. A fish-dealer shipped by express to a customer 41 bushels of oysters at $.50 per bushel ; the express charge was $1.00; find the whole cost.
6. Find the weight of 49 bales of cotton averaging 465 pounds to the bale.
7. A ferryman ferried across the river 1 six-mule team for $.50, 2 single buggies at $.25 each, 3 horsemen at $.10 each, and 6 foot-passengers at $.05 each ; how much for all ? 8. A teamster loaded his wagon with
8 bu. meal, 48 lb. to the bushel
2 bbl. flour, 196 lb. to the barrel.