« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
227. Written Problems.
1. A farmer harvested 686 bushels of oats, 799 bushels of corn, and 347 bushels of wheat. Find the total number of bushels.
2. If a field of 21 acres produces 441 bushels of corn, what is the average yield per acre ?
3. John worked 16 days for a dollar and a quarter per day. How much did he earn ?
4. A man paid $6.60 for 20 pounds of wool. Find the price per pound.
5. Subtract three thousand fifty-nine from five thousand two hundred seven.
6. When strawberries are selling at 71 cents a quart, what should be paid for 20 quarts ?
7. An orchard has 14 rows of trees. One of the rows is short and has 19 trees. The 13 rows have 48 trees to the row. How many trees in the orchard ?
8. A man buys 12 pounds of sugar at 6 cents a pound, and 3 pounds of coffee at 33 cents a pound. How much change must he receive out of $2?
9. Add two hundred fifty-three, seventy-nine, eight hundred nine, and seventeen.
10. A farmer sold 27 bushels of sweet potatoes at $.65 per bushel; how much did he get ?
II. A cabinet-maker paid out $4.50 for wood and other expenses, and made a desk, which he sold for $27.25. How much did he get for his labor ?
232. Written Problems.
1. A man's expenses in two weeks were, for the first week $24.50, and for the second week $31.50; what were his average daily expenses ?
2. A farmer, with all his plows, broke a field of 156 acres in 13 days; how many acres per day did he average ?
3. A ship sailed 3 000 miles across the ocean in 25 days; what was her average rate per day?
4. A merchant sold 2 997 barrels of flour in 27 days; what were his average daily sales ?
5. A farmer raised on 13 acres 5 551 pounds of seedcotton; find the average yield.
6. A farmer hauled to market 5 bales of cotton weighing as follows : #1. 456 — #2. 444—#3. 490— #4. 410 — #5. 450. Find the average weight.
7. A farmer raised on a field of 28 acres, part good and part bad land, 364 bushels of wheat; what was the average
8. A cotton-weigher weighed 16 bales of cotton as follows:
# 1. 447 – # 2. 515 — # 3. 508— # 4. 521–
What was the average weight? 9. What would 150 bushels of peaches cost at $14 per bushel ?
233. Oral Questions.
1. How many days are in 3 weeks 4 days ?
3. How many units are in 9x8? in 9x 12? in 8x7 ?
4. How many days are in December?
5. A man sold 27 gallons of milk; how many quarts did he sell? How many pints ?
6. If you buy a bushel of peaches at 30 cents a peck, how much do you pay ?
7. If you buy a peck of chestnuts at 10 cents a quart, how much do you pay ?
8. How many tens are in one thousand ninety?
13. In a minute and a half, there are how many seconds ? .
14. In a day and a half, there are how many hours ? 15. In a year and a half, there are how many months ? 16. In a dollar and three quarters, there are how many
17. If you pay $24 for books at a quarter of a dollar apiece, how many books do you get ?
18. What is the answer called in Addition ? in Subtraction ? in Multiplication ? in Division ?
NOTATION — THE FUNDAMENTAL OPERATIONS –
HALVES AND FOURTHS — SIMPLE MEASURES —
NOTATION 234. Oral Questions.
1. How many cents are there in 1 dime and 1 cent?
8. How many units are in the smallest number that can be shown with four figures ? in the largest number that can be shown with three figures ?
235. Ten units make one ten.
Ten tens make one hundred.