« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
days, how many days would it take one man to do it ?
40. If four men can do a piece of work in five days, how many days would it take one man to do it?
41. If six men can do a piece of work in seven days, how many men would it take to do it in one day ?
42. If a quantity of provisions will serve three men five days, how many men would it serve one day? • 43. If a quantity of provisions will serve five men seven days, how many days would it serve one man ?
44. If fifteen dollars worth of provision will serve eight men five days, how many days will it servo one man ?
45. A man had a piece of work to perform which seven men could do in nine days, but it was neces. sary that the whole should be completed in one day; how many men must he employ?
46. If the interest of one dollar is six cents a year, what would be the interest of ten dollars for the same time?
47. If the interest of one dollar is six cents for one year, what would be the interest of it for two years ? for three years ? for seven years ?
48. If a man can earn seven shillings in a day, how many shillings will he earn in six days?
49. If a man can earn eight dollars in a month, how much can he earn in six months ?
50. At five dollars a week, what will nine weeks board come to ?
51. A lady bought three yards of cambric at two dollars a yard, seven yards of silk for three dollars a yard, five yards of riband for four dollars, and some crape for two dollars; she paid four ten-dollar bills; how much must she receive back again?
A. 1. How many apples, at one cont apiece, can you buy for four cents ?
2. How many pears, at two cents apiece, can you buy for four cents ?
3. How many peaches, at thrde oents apiece, can you buy for six cents ?
4. How many apples, at two cents apiece, can you buy for six cents? How many for eight cents ?
5. How many pears, at three cents apiece, can you buy for nine cents ? How many for twelve cents ?
6. If you have eight apples to give to four boys, how many can you give to each?
7. If a man travel six miles in two hours, how many miles does he travel in an hour ?
8. If a man travel three miles in an hour, how many hours will it take him to travel nine miles ?
9. How many yards of cloth, at three dollars a yard, can you buy for fifteen dollars ?
10. If you had sixteen cents, how many cakes could you buy at four cents apiece ?
11. If you had ten dollars, how much cloth could you buy at five dollars a yard ?
12. If you had twelve apples to give to six of your companions, how many would you give them apiece ?
13. If a man can travel six miles in an hour, how long will it take him to travel eighteen miles ?
14. If a man can travel five miles in an hour, how long will it take him to travel twenty miles ?
15. In a certain orchard there are twenty-four trees standing in rows, and there are three trees in oach row how many rows are there !
16. In an orchard there are twenty-one trees, and there are seven trees in each row, how many rows are there ?,
17. A man paid twenty-seven dollars for some sheep, and he gave nine dollars apiece for them, how many sheep did he buy ?
18. A man paid twenty-eight dollars for seven barrels of cider, how much did he give a barrel ?.
19. At five cents apiece, how many oranges can you buy for thirty cents ?
20. Twenty-five are how many times five ?
21. Thirty-two are how many times four? How many times eight ?
22. Thirty-five are how many times seven? How many times five ?
23. Thirty-six are how many times six? How many times nine ? How many times four ?
B. Remark, When any thing, or any number, is divided into two equal parts, one of the parts is called the half of the thing or the number.
1. If an apple is worth two cents, what is one half of it worth?
2. What is one half of two cents ?
A. Because if you divide two cents into two equal parts, one of the parts is one cent.
3. If you can buy a cake for two cents, how much can you buy for one cent?
4. One is what part of two ?
6. If you can buy one pear for two cents, how many can you buy for three cents ?
7. Three, are bow inany times two ? Ans. Once two and one half of two.
8. Four are how many times two?
9. If two shillings will buy one yard of cotton cloth, how many yards will five shillings buy ?
10. Five are how many times two ?
12. If two dollars will buy a yard of cloth, how many yards will seven dollars buy ?
13. How many halves make a whole one ?
Remark. When any thing, or any number, is divided into three equal parts, one of those parts is called the third part of the thing or number. When it is divided into four equal parts, one part is called he fourth part, and so on.
17. If a yard of cloth be worth three dollars, and it be cut into three equal pieces, what will one of the pieces be worth? that is, what will one third of a yard be worth ?
18. What is a third of three ?
19. Suppose the yard of cloth to be cut as before, what will two pieces of it cost ? that is, what will two thirds of a yard cost?
20. What is two thirds of three ?
21. If three shillings will buy one bushel of corn, what part of a bushel will one shilling buy? What part of a bushel will two shillings buy?
22. One is what part of three ?
Ans. One is the third part of three ; or one third of three.
23. Two is what part of three ?
Ans. Two is two times the third part of three; or two thirds of three. *
"The instructer may use either of these expressions; the forme will be most casily understood by the pupil; it would be well, there
.24. Three times one are how many times three !
25. If you can buy a barrel of cider for three dollars, how much can you buy for four dollars ? How much for five dollars ?
26. How many thirds make a whole one ?
29. If you can buy a barrel of fish for three dollars, how much can you buy for seven dollars? How much for eight dollars?
30. What do you understand, by a third, and by two thirds of any thimg ?
For the answer, see remark after example 16th. 31. Eight are how many times three ? 32. Nine are how many times three? 33. Ten are how many times three ? 34. Eleven are how many times three ? 35. Twelve are how many times three ?
36. If a yard of cloth be worth four dollars, and At be cut into four equal parts, what will one of the parts be worth ? that is, what is one fourth of it worth? What are two fourths of it worth ? What are three fourths of it worth?
37. If you can buy a barrel of cider for four dollars, how much can you buy for one dollar ? How much for two dollars ? How much for three dolları ?
38. What part of four is one ?
42. If you can buy a bushel of corn for four shil. byre, for the instructer 10 use the former frequently, though the Southern moed for the most part in the treatise.