« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
three dollars? What part for four dollars ? What part for five dollars ? Six dollars ? Seven dollars ? Eight dollars ? Nine dollars? How much can you buy for eleven dollars ? Thirteen dollars ? Fifteen dollars ? Seventeen dollars ?
136. What do you understand by one tenth, two tenths, three tenths, &c. of any thing ?*
137. How many tenths make a whole one ?*
C. Instead of writing the names of numbers, it is usual to express them by particular characters, called figures.
One is written - - - - - - •
. - 10
4. If you had fifteen cents how many cakes could you buy at 4 cents apiece? How many at 2 cents apiece? How many at 3 cents apiece ? How many at 5 cents apiece ?
5. Fifteen are how many times 4? 2? 3? 5?
6. Sixteen are how many times 5? 3? 6?. 21 7? 4!
7. Seventeen are how many times 67 2! 7? 3? 5? 4?
8. Eighteen are how many times 4? 7? 97 0? 31 2? 5! 8?
"These questions sløuld frequently be put to the learners
29. A man had forty-two dollars, which he paid for wood at 7 dollars a cord; how many cords did he buy?
30. Two boys are forty-eight rods apart, and both running the same way; but the hindermost boy gains upon the other 3 rods in a minute; in how many minutes will he overtake the foremost boy?
31. There is a vessel containing sixty-three gallons of wine ; it has a pipe which discharges 7 gallons in an hour ; how many hours will it take to empty the vessel ?
32. There is a vessel containing eighty-seven gallons, and by a cock ten gallons will run into it in an hour; in how inany hours will the vessel be filled ?
33. If one man can do a piece of work in thirty days, in how many days can 3 men do it ? in how many days can 5 men do it ?
34. If you wish to put sixty-four pounds of butter into 8 boxes, how many pounds would you put into each box ?
35. If you had seventy-two pounds of butter, which you wished to put into boxes containing 8 pounds each, how many boxes would it take?
36. If a man can perform a journey in thirty-six hours, how many days will it take him to do it when the days are nine hours long?
37. If a man can do a piece of work in forty-eight hours, how many days would it take him to do it, if he works twelve hours in a day?
SECTION IV. *
A. 1. Ar two cents a yard, what will 3 yards and one half of a yard of tape cost ?
2. 3 times 2, and one half of 2 are how many ?
3. At 3 dollars a yard, what will 4 yards and 1 third of a yard of cloth cost ?
4. 4 times 3, and 1 third of 3 are how many ?
5. At 3 dollars a barrel, what will 3 barrels and 2 thirds of a barrel of cider cost ?
6. 3 times 3, and two thirds of 3 are how many ?
7. If a man earn 4 dollars in a week, how many dollars will he earn in 3 weeks and 1 fourth of a wcek ?
8. 3 times 4, and I fourth of 4 are how many ?
9. If a yard of cloth cost 4 dollars, what will 5 yards and 3 fourths of a yard cost ?
10. 5 times 4, and 3 fourths of 4 are how many ?
11. If a man spend five dollars in a week, how many dollars will he spend in 3 weeks and 1 fifth of a week ? How much in 5 weeks and 2 fifths of a week ?
12. 3 times 5, and 1 fifth of 5 are how many ? 13. 5 times 5, and 2 fifths of 5 are how many ? 14. 6 times 5, and 3 fifths of 5 are how many ?
15. If beer is worth six dollars a barrel, what would 4 barrels and 1 sixth of a barrel cost ? How much would 7 barrels and 5 sixths of a barrel cost ?
16. 4 times 6, and I sixth of 6 are how many ? 17. 7 times 6, and 5 sixths of 6 are how many ?
To. At 7 dollars a barrel, what will 3 harrels and 1 seventh of a barrel of flour cost? What will 5 barralę and 2 sevenths of a barrel cost?
times 7, and 1 seventh of 7 are how many? 5 times 7, and 2 sevenths of 7 are how many?