« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
ecnts, what will i eighth of a pound cost? What will a pound cost ?
28. 6 is 3 eighths of what number?
29. If eight cents will buy 2 fifths of a pound of aqua fortis, how many cents will buy a pound? 30. 8 is 2 fifths of what number?
31. A man bought 3 fourths of a hundred weight of yellow ochre for 9 dollars; what was that a bun. dred weight?
32. 9 is three fourths of what number?
C. l. If 5 eighths of a cask of claret wine cost 15 dollars, what is that a cask? How much cider, at 4 dollars a barrel, would it take to pay for a cask of the wine ?
2. 15 is five eighths of how many times 4?
3. If 2 thirds of a pound of coffee cost 18 cents, aow much would a pound cost? How many oranges, at 5 cents apiece, might be bought for a pound?
4. 18 is 2 thirds of how many times 5? 5. A man bought 4 sevenths of a hundred weight of sugar for 20 shillings; how many dollars would a hundred weight come to at the same rate ?
h 20 i 4 sovenths of how many times 6:
7. A man sold a cow for 21 dollars, which was only seven tenths of what she cost him; how much did she cost him? When he bought her, he paid for her with cloth at 8 dollars a yard; how many yards of cloth did he give?
8. 21 is 7 tenths of how many times 8?
9. A man, being asked the age of his youngest son, answered, that the age of his eldest son was 24 years, which was 3 fifths of his own age; and that his own age was 10 times as much as that of his youngest son; what was his age ? and what was the age of his youngest son?
10. 24 is 3 fifths of how many times 10?
D. 1. A boy gave away 4 cents, which was I third of all he had; how many had he at first?
2. A boy gave 6 apples to one of his compenjanin,
which was I fourth of what he had; how many had he?
3. A man paid away 4 dollarg, which was 2 thirds of all the money he had; how much had he ?
4. A man sold a watch for 18 dollars, which was 3 fourths of what it cost him; how much did it cost ?
5. A man sold a cow for 15 dollars, which was, 3 fifths of what the cow cost; how much did he lose by his bargain?
6. A man bought 12 yards of cloth, and sold it for 54 dollars, which was 9 eighths of what it cost him; what did it cost him a yard? and how much did he gain by his bargain?
7. There is a pole standing in the water, so that 10 feet of it is above the water, which is 2 thirds of the whole length of the pole; how long is the pole.'
8. There is a pole two thirds under water, and 4 feet out; how long is the pole?
9. There is a pole two fifths under water, and 6 feet out of the water; how long is the pole ?
10. There is an orchard, in which 3 sevenths of the trees bear cherries, and 2 sevenths bear peaches, and 10 trees bear plums; how many trees are there in the orchard ? and how many of each sort ?
11. There is a school, in which 2 ninths of the boys learn arithmetic, 3 ninths learn grammar, 1 ninth learn geography, 1 ninth learn geometry, and 12 learn to write; how many are there in the school ? and how many attending to each study ?
12. A man sold a watch for 63 dollars, which was 7 fifths of what it cost him; bow much did he gain by the bargain?
1. IF 1 yard of cloth cost 4 dollars, what will & yards apst?
2. A man bought 3 pounds of raisins, at 7 cents a pound, and 16 oranges, at 4 cents apiece, and 1 pound of candles for 16 cents; what did they all come to?
3. A boy had 37 apples; he kept five himself, and divided the rest equally among four companions; how many did he give them apiece?
4. Two men are 40 miles apart, and both travelling the same way; the hindermost man gains upon the other 5 miles each day; in how many days will he overtake him?
5. Two men are travelling the same way ; one travels at the rate of 38 miles a day; the other, who is behind the former, travels 44 miles; how much does he gain of the first each day? and in how many days would he gain 60 miles?
6. A fox is 80 rods before a greyhound, and is running at the rate of 27 rods in a minute; the greyhound is following at the rate of 31 rods in a minute; in how many minutes will the greyhound overtake the fox ?
7. If 2 yards of cloth cost 6 dollars, what would 4 yards cost? what would 12 yards cost?
8. If 8 sheep cost 24 dollars, what would 3 cost?
9. If 4 tons of hay will keep 3 horses through the winter, how many tons will keep 30 horses the same time?
10. If a man spends 8 shillings a day, how many dollars will he spend in a week ?
11. Bought 10 pieces of cloth; eaca containing 5 yards, for 100 dollars; what was it a piece? and bow much a yard?
12. If the wages of 12 weeks come to 60 dollars, what is that a month ? and how much for 5 weeks?
13. If 7 horses eat 14 bushels of oats in 1 week, how many
bushels would 15 horses eat in the same time?
14. If 3 horses eat 8 bushels of oats in 2 weeks, how long would it take them to eat 40 bushels ?
15. If i horse eat i bushel of oats in 3 days, in how many days would 4 horses eat 36 bushels?
16. If 2 men spend 12 dollars in 1 week, how many dollars would 3 men, at the same rate, spend in 5 weeks?
17. If a staff 3 feet long cast a shadow of 2 feet at 12 o'clock, what is the length of a pole that casts a shadow 18 feet at the same time of day?
18. If 47 gallons of water, in 1 hour, run into cistern containing 108 gallons, and by a pipe 38 gallons run out in an hour, how much remains in the cistern in an hour and in how many hours will the cistern be filled ?
19. If 4 men can do a piece of work in 8 days, how many men would it take to do the same work in 4 days? 20.
If 6 men can do a piece of work in 9 days, in how many days would 2 men do it? .
21. If 8 men can do a piece of work in 5 days, in how many days would they do a piece of work 4 times as large?
22. If 7 men can do a piece of work in 3 days, how many men would it take to do a piece of work 5 times as large in the same time?
23. If 8 men can do a piece of work in 4 days, in how many days would 2 men do a piece of work one half as large? .
24. A man bought a cask of wine containing 63 llons, 3 sevenths of which leaked out ; and he