« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
8. What is the forborne value of an annuity of $300 for 10 years at 6%?
$5000 is the principal which has been at compound interest 10 years.
The compound interest of $1 for 10 years is
And for $5000 is
9. The present value is $6000, interest 6%, payable semi-annually. What annuity will it yield ?
Interest on $180 for 6 months,
$5.40 360.00 $365.40 annuity.
10. What is the present value of an annuity of $400, payable quarterly; interest at 5%, payable yearly? $100 x 9 mo. = $100 x 18 mo. at 5% = $7.50 100 x 6 mo.
400 100 x 3 mo.
407.50 X 100 = $8150.00 = present value.
11. What is the present value of an annuity of $800, payable quarterly; interest also payable quarterly ; rate 5%?
Present value = 16000.
REM.—When the payments of the annuity and of the interest on the present value are the same, the computation is the same as f both were annual.
12. Find the present value of a perpetual annuity of $540, beginning ten years hence, rate of interest 6%.
$5025.55 = present value. 13. Find the present value of a certain annuity of $650, beginning at this time and continuing 15 years, rate 5%.
$6746.78 = P. V., C. I. 14. Find the present value of an annuity of $150, to commence in 10 years and then continue 10 years, rate of interest 6%.
Present value of annuity for 10 yr. $616.48, Pres. value.
15. What is the value of an annuity of $300, unpaid for 12 years, rate 6%?
Ans. $5060.98. 16. A man pays $100 a year for wine and tobacco; what will that amount to at the end of 50 years, allowing 6% compound interest ?
Ans $29033.59. REM.-Strict attention must be given to the formulas of annuities, and the students may repeat the examples given until they become familiar with the various formulas.
1. Determining the areas of surfaces and the volume of solids is called Mensuration.
2. A Surface has two dimensions, as length and breadth ; a Solid has three dimensions, viz., length, breadth and thickness. A level surface is called a plane.
3. A Line has length only.
5. The divergence of two straight lines from a point is an Angle.
6. If the two straight lines are perpendicular to each other, the angle is called a Right Angle.
7. An angle less than a right angle is an Acute Angle.
8. An angle greater than a right angle is an Obtuse Angle.
9. A plane figure having three angles is a Triangle.
10. A plane figure having four angles is a Quadrilateral.
11. If the angles of the quadrilateral are right angles it is a Rectangle, and if the sides of the rectangle are equal it is a Square.
12. If the opposite sides of the quadrilateral are parallel without the angles being right angles, it is a Parallelogram.
13. A plane figure of any number of sides has the general name of Polygon.
MEASUREMENT OF SURFACES.
1. To find the area of a rectangle, multiply the base by the altitude.
2. To find the area of a parallelogram, multiply the base by the altitude (Geometry).
3. To find the area of a triangle. It is also proved by Geometry that a triangle is one-half a rectangle or parallelogram of the same base and altitude; therefore one-half the product of the base and altitude is the area of a triangle.
1. How many square feet in a board 12 ft. long and 1 ft. wide ?
Ans. 12 sq. ft. 2. How many square feet in a board 12 ft. long and 10 in. wide ?
12 x 19 = 10 sq. ft. 3. How many square feet in a board 12 ft. long and
in. wide ?
12 X = 9 sq. ft.
4. How miny square feet in a room 18 ft. long and 12 ft, wide ?
18 x 12 = 216 sq. ft. 5. How m iny square yards in a room 18 ft. long and 12 ft. wide ?
= 24 sq. yd. 6. How many square feet in a room 16 ft. 9 in. long and 12 fr. in. wide ?
67 x 25
28,76 = 2093 sq. ft. 2 x 4 7. How many square feet in a wall 18 ft. 9 in. long and 9 ft. 6 in. high?
= 25.753 = 14b =
= 1781 sq. ft., Ans.
8. How many square feet in a wall 16 ft. long and 9 ft. 6 in. high?
ft. 9. How many square feet in the four walls of a room having the dimensions of 7th and 8th examples ?
Ans. 6601 sq. ft. 10. What number of square feet in the floor or ceiling?
11. How many square feet of plastering, in the walls and ceiling of this room? How many square yards ?
1st Ans. 9607 sq. ft. 2d Ans. 106. sq. yd.