« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
104. A merchant retails goods at 30% above cost, but sells them by wholesale at 12% below the retail price; what does he gain per cent on goods sold at wholesale ?
Ans. 143%. 105. A merchant marked a piece of silk at 25% above cost, and then sold it at 20% below the marked price; did he gain or lose ?
Ans. Neither. 106. How many shares of bank stock ($100) at 4% premium can be bought for $8320 ? Ans. 80 shares.
107. How much railroad stock at 121% discount, can be bought for $8750 ?
Ans. 100 shares. 108. A broker bought stock at 4% discount, and selling the same at 5% premium, gained $450; how many shares did he buy?
Ans. 50 shares. 109. For what must a cargo valued at $11520 be insured at 4% to cover both goods and premium ?
Ans. $12000. 110. A sold cloth to B and gained 10%; B sold it to C and gained 10%; C sold it to D for $726 and gained 10%; how much did it cost A? Ans. $545.454.
111. A and B together did fo of a piece of work in 2 days, when, B leaving, A completed it in ţ a day; in what time can each do it alone ?
Ans. A in 5 days, B in 4 days. 112. In a company of 90 persons, there are 4 more men than women, and 10 more children than men and women together; how many of each in the company ?
Ans. 18 women, 22 men, 50 children. 113. How many bushels of whe will fill a bin 8 ft. long, 5 ft. wide, and 4 ft. deep ? Ans. 128.57 + bu.
114. How many square feet on the surface of a block 6 ft. long, 4 ft. wide, and 11 ft. thick? Ans. 78 sq. ft.
115. There is a circular field 40 rods in diameter; what is its circumference and how many acres does it contain ? Ans. Circum. 125.664 rds.; area 7.854 acres.
116. Ilow large a draft may be purchased for $2020, at 1% premium ?
Ans. $2000. 117. For what sum must a note be drawn so that when discounted for 63 days at 6%, the proceeds may be $1295 ?
Ans. $1308.74. 118. Invested $6000 at 6% and received $750.42 as interest; how long was my money invested ?
Ans. 2.0845 yrs. 119. A, B and C join their capitals, which are in the proportion of 1, } and 1. At the end of 4 months A withdraws one-half of his capital, and at the end of 9 months more they divide their profits, $1420; what would each receive ? Ans. A, $510; B, $520; C, $390. 120. How
rods of fence will inclose 10 acres in the form of a square ?
Ans. 160 rods. 121. A farmer wishes to put out 100 bu. of lime per acre on a field, putting 1 bu. on a heap in regular rows; how many feet apart must the rows be? Ans. 20.87 ft. 122. C and Dengage in trade with different sums of money; Closes 40% of his capital, and D gains 50% of his, when their capitals are just equal; how much greater was
C's than D's when they began ? Ans. 21 times. 123. A room is 20 ft. long, 16 ft. wide, and 12 ft. high; what is the distance in a straight line from one of the lower corners to the upper opposite corner ?
Ans. 28.28 + fect. \ 1124
124. How many gallons of water will fill a circular cistern 6 ft. deep and 4 ft. in diameter ?
Ans. 564.019 gallons.
-125. How deep must a circular cistern be made to hold 1000 gallons, if the diameter is 6 ft.? Ans. 4.728 feet.
126. I have sold 50 bu. of wheat for A, and 60 bu. for B, receiving for both lots $150; if A's wheat is worth 20% more than B’s, how much ought I payeach ?
Ans. $75. 127. Sold a cow for $30, by which I lost 16%%; afterwards sold a second at a gain of 10%, which exactly covered my
loss on the first; what was the second cow sold for ?
Ans. $66. 128. If I lose 12% by selling sugar at $8 per cwt., what per cent do I gain or lose by selling it at $9 ?
Ans. Lose 1%6. 129. The increase of a flock of sheep was 228, and this was 12% on the original number ; what was the original number?
Ans. 1900. 130. of the price received for an article is equal to of its cost; what is the gain per cent ? Ans. 123%.
131. How much grain must I take to mill to bring away 2 bushels after the miller has taken 10 per cent for toll ?
Ans. 23 bu. 132. Sold tea at 30 cts. above cost and gained 103%; what was the tea sold for ?
Ans. $2.10. 133. When gold was worth 50 per cent more than currency, what was the value in gold of a dollar bill?
Ans. 664 cts. 134. A and B traded in company and gained $750, of which B's share was $600 ; A's stock was $1200; what was B's stock ?
ins. $4800. 135. If 8 men cut 84 cords of wood in 12 days, workingy hours a day, how many men will cut 150 cords in 10 days, working 5 hours a day? Ans. 24 men.
7136. What is the difference between the true discount and the bank discount of $359.50 for 90 days, without grace, at 12% ?
Ans. $.315. 7137. A man bought stock at 25% below par and sold it at 20% above par ; what per cent did he make?
Ans. 60%. 138. What must I ask for cloth costing $4 a yard, that I may deduet 20% from my asking price and still make 20%?
Ans. $6 per yd. 139. An agent received $502.50 to buy cloth, after deducting 3% commission ; how many yards did he buy at $1.25 a yard ?
Ans. 400 yds. 140. A, B and C gain by trade $5200. A's stock was $2400, which was 4 of B’s, and B’s was f of C's;
what was the gain of each? Ans. A, $1200; B, $1600; C, $2400.
141. A and B take a contract of street-paving for $3300. A employs 50 men 20 days, and B, 40 men 30 days; how much shall each receive ?
Ans. A, $1500; B, $1800. 142. A man engages 30 men, 40 women and 50 boys to do a piece of work; each man is to receive one-third more per day than a woman, and each woman one-fourth more than a boy. They receive $600 for the work; what does each man, woman and boy receive?
Ans. Each man $6ş, each woman $5, each boy $4.* -143. What is the present value of 3 notes of $1000 each, due in one, two and three years respectively, money worth 6% ?
Ans. $2683.71. 144. A, B and C engaged in business, gain $4800 ; Als stock was $4000, B's $6000, and C's gain, $1200; required C's stock and A and B’s gain ?
Ans. C's stock, $3333}; A's gain, $1440; B's, $2160.
145. A's stock was in trade 12 months, B's 15 months,
Ans. A, $2500; B, $2000; C, $2500.
Ans. 20%, 103%, 123% and 111%.