« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
If the exterior vertical angle of a triangle be bisected by a straight line wbich likewise cuts the base, shew that the rectangle contained by the sides of the triangle, together with the square on the straight line which bisects the angle, is equal to the rectangle contained by the segments of the base.
WEDNESDAY, 611 NOVEMBER.
(10 A.M. TO ] P.M.]
V.B. -Arrange your answers in three bundles, writing on the outside of
each your name and number and the number of the Section.
1. Show how “the Grecian world was bound together by community of 10 blood and language ; by community of religious rites and great national games; by community of manners and character.”
2. Write a note on the origin of the Greek colonies and their relation to 10 the mother-country.
Give a brief account of the Greek colonies in Italy.
3. It has been said that “while Lycurgus made mere machines, Solon 14 made men."
Illustrate the truth of this by comparing the achievements and the social life of the Athenians with the achievements and the social life of the Spartans.
4. Give a careful description of the battle of Marathon.
5. Describe the home and the foreign policy of Pericles.
6. Describe the causes that led to the Pelaponnesian War.
Compare the position and resources of Athens with those of Sparta at the commencement of the struggle, as also at the close of the Sicilian Expedi. tion.
7. Describe the site and chief buildings of Athens.
8. Trace the career of Alexander the Great from the time he crossed 110 the Indus to his death,
9. Sketch the character and career of Demosthenes.
INTERMEDIATE ARTS EXAMINATION.
J. NELSON FRASER, M.A.
:} In Sanskrit.
} In Latin. JOSEPH EZEKIEL, Esq.
::} In Hebrew. The Rev. J. H, LORD KAVASJI EDALJI KANGA, Esq.
2 In Avesta and PahSHERIARJI DADABHAI BHARUCHA, Esq....
In Experimental H, N. ALLEN. B.Sc., Ph.D. ...
TUESDAY, 5TH NOVEMBER,
[10 A.M. To 1 P.M.]
BURKE : Clarendon Press, Vol. II; MILTON: Paradise Lost, 11 ;
SECTION I. 1. Paraphrase :
War hath determined us, and foiled with loss
2. Summarise very briefly the different views of Moloch Belial, Mammon 10 and Beelzebub. 3. Write notes on the following passages :
20 (i) Vain wisdom all, and false philosophy.
What speculations does Milton sum up in these words ? (ii) As when Alcides, from Ec lia crowned
With conquest, felt the envenomed robe, and tore
Through pain up by the roots Thessalian pines. (iii) No king of ours / a son of Gorlois he,
Or else the child of Anton, and no king,
Or else base-born.
By fire, to sink into the abyss again ;
4. Explain the following words and phrases, noticing anything interesting 15 in the derivation or use of the words :-Forced Halleluiahs ; the palpable obscure; wide Cerberean mouths ; the
barmless glamour of the field ; the bright dishonour of his love. 5. Either (1) explain what is meant by an epic poem, and discuss the 15 claims of the Idylls of the King and Paradise Lost to the name.
(2) Say what you know about the date and life of Arthur and the history of the Arthurian legend.
6. “The people of England well know that the idea of inheritance 20 furnishes a sure principle of conservation, and a sure principle of transmission ; without at all excluding a principle of improvement.”
In what connections, and with what measure of success, does Burke advance the opinion expressed in this quotation ? 7. Explain carefully with reference to the context:
20 (a) “ The crown is held by divine, hereditary, and indefeasible
right.” (6) “I can never consider this assembly as anything else than a
voluntary association of men, who have availed themselves of
circumstances to seize upon the power of the state.” (c) “By this means the spirit of money-jobbing and speculation goes
into the mass of land itself, and incorporates with it." (d) The sophisters and declaimers, as soon as the Assembly met, began
with denying the ancient constitution of the revenue in many of its most essential branches ; such as the public monopoly of
salt. 8. Summarise Burke's defence of the old Judicature, and his attack 13 upon the National Assembly for the abolition of the Parliaments. 9. Write brief notes on Machiavelli, Diderot, Necker, Law, Coke.
10 10. Illustrate and comment upon Burke's employment of irony, metaphor, 12 and epigram,
WEDNESDAY, 6TH NOVEMBER.
[10 A.M. To 1 P...]
ENGLISH (Composition). Reform, political and social ; the proper principles to follow, and the proper cautions to observe in promoting it.
MONDAY, 4TH NOVEMBER.
in separate books.
SEOTION I. 1. Translate into English :
(a) इदं रविर्नाम जगद्विलोचनं पिधीयमानं धनपक्ष्मपतिभिः।
दवाग्निधूमैश्चपलाञ्चलैस्तथा कृतव्यथं वारि किल व्यमुञ्चत ॥ () जलं प्रसन्नं जलदा निवर्तिताः प्रवर्तिताश्चाऽध्वनि साधुसिन्धवः ।
गदाधरः स्वापपरः प्रबोधितः शराबिनैनिर्मलतोचितं कृतम् ॥ (c) कीलालैः कुङ्कमानां सकलमपि जगज्जालमेतन्निषिक्तं
मुक्ताश्चोन्मत्तभृङ्गा विघटितकमलकोडकारागृहेभ्यः ।
2. Translate into Sanskrit:
I was yesterday about sunset walking in the open fields, until the night insensibly fell upon me. I at first amused myself with all the richness and variety of colours which appeared in the western parts of heaven. In proportion as they faded away and went out, several stars and planets appeared one after another, until the whole firmament was in a glow. The blueness of the ether was exceedingly heightened and enlivened by the season of the year. To complete the scene, the full moon rose at length in that majesty, which Bhavabbati describes in his Mâlatî. Madhava. . 3. Explain clearly :( 6)
(c) संज्ञासंज्ञिसम्बन्धज्ञानमुपमितिः ।
4. (a) What do yon understand by (i) समवाय and (ii) विशेष ? 12 Can घटध्वंस be समवेत in anything? Can मनसू be समवेत in आत्मन् ?
Can there be a विशेष in (i) बुद्धि and (ii) घट ?
Give reasons for your answers.
(6) Distinguish between (i) शब्द and पद, (ii) कर्म and कृति, (iii) व्याप्यत्वासिद्ध and साधारण.
5. Define in fanskrit and illustrate in English असाधारण(हेत्वाभास), 5 विपक्ष, अप्रमा and योग्यता.
6. Explain :
(a) व्याकरण मिव प्रथममध्यमोत्तमपुरुषविभक्तिस्थितानेका
देशकारकाख्यातसम्प्रदानक्रियाव्ययप्रपञ्चसुस्थितम् ; () आर्यामिव समुपात्तयतिगणोचितमात्रम् ; (c) नाटकमिव प्रकटपताकाङ्कशोभितम् । (d) असत्साधनमिवादृष्टान्तम् ;
(e) जरगृहमुनिभिरिव जटालवालकमण्डलधरैः. 7. (a) What references are found in the Kadambari to (i) the fiar, (ii) the नारदपुराण and (iii) the story of नरवाहनदत्त ?
(४) Give she meanings of दुरोदर, आकेकर, खलीन, प्रहेलिका, अष्टादशवर्षदेशीया, and भारद्वाज. 8. What are the data available for fixing the age of Bana? 9. Discuss the merits and defects of the उत्तररामचरित.
10. Translate into English :
(a) सस्वेटरोमाञ्चितकम्पिताङ्गी जाता प्रियस्पर्शमुखेन वत्सा ।
मरुन्नवाम्भःप्रविधूतसिक्ता कदम्बयष्टिः स्फुटकोरकेव ॥ () अपत्ये यत् तादृग् दुरितमभवत् तेन महता
विषक्तस्तीवेण व्रणितहृदयेन व्यथयता।
Dissolve and name the compounds underlined ; and name the metres.