« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
41. If you have read all but 40% of a book, and have read 234 pages, how many pages has the book ?
X – 0.40 x = 0.60 x. 0.60 x = what number? 42. If the width of a schoolhouse is 10% less than the length, and the width is 46.8 ft., what is the length ?
43. If you lose 10% of a kite string, and have 585 ft. left, how long was the string? How many feet did you lose ?
44. How much is a man's income if he pays 12% of it for rent at the rate of $15 a month ?
45. If an automobile going 14 mi. an hour increases its speed 37%, at what rate will it then be traveling ?
46. If the boys in a certain school are 45% of the total, and there are 66 girls, how many boys are there?
47. What sum of money increased by 33}% of itself becomes $600? What sum of money decreased by 331% of itself becomes $600 ?
48. A stenographer can write 105 words a minute, which is 25% more than she could write three months ago. What was her rate then ?
49. A stenographer can write 95 words a minute. Three months ago she wrote 20% less than now. What was her rate then ?
50. A cubic foot of platinum weighs 1220 lb., and a cubic foot of pressed gold weighs 10 lb. less. Platinum is what per cent heavier than pressed gold ?
51. A bank averaged $1200 a day of new deposits in November, and 26% more a day in December. What were the average daily deposits in December ?
52. A clerk's salary is $12 a week. If he spends 20% of it for rent, 10% for clothes, and 25% for other expenses, and saves the rest, how much does he save in 52 wk.?
237. Trade Discount. A reduction from the marked price of an article, from the amount of a bill of goods, or from the amount of a debt is called trade discount.
Trade discount is also called commercial discount.
Discounts are usually reckoned at some common fraction of, or at some rate per cent of, the amount from which the discount is made.
238. Cash Discount. A discount that is taken off because a purchaser is paying cash at once instead of waiting to make the payment later, is called a cash discount.
The amount of the bill after the discount has been made is called the net amount, or the net price.
The price given in a printed list is called the list price.
What is the net amount of a bill of $125 after a discount of 20% is made ? Amount of bill
$125 Less 20%, or }, of $125
25 Net amount
$100 Instead of speaking of " 20% off," merchants often speak of "off.” It is not so convenient to use common fractions for 12%, 7%, etc.
Find the discount on the following at the rates stated : 1. $250, 10% 4. $575, 4%. 7. $1250, 2% 2. $375, 20%. 5. $675, 6%
8. $1400, 8%. 3. $450, 15% 6. $825, 3%.
9. $2250, 12%
Find the net prices of goods billed as follows, with discounts as stated :
10. $250, 20%. 13. $475, 8%. 16. $480, 163% 11. $175, 10%. 14. $560, 12%
17. $720, 121%. 12. $360, 10%. 15. $775, 15% 18. $810, 33%
19. A sewing machine was marked $50 but was sold at 121% discount. What was the net price ?
20. A piano was marked $800 but was sold at 8% discount. What was the net price ?
21. A dealer bought some goods for $975.25, less 20%. What was the net price ?
22. A lady bought a $50 cloak at a bargain sale at 25% discount. What did it cost her ?
23. A dealer offers some goods for $75, or 4% less for cash. How much does a purchaser save by paying cash ?
24. A dealer offers some goods for $80, or for $72 if the purchaser pays cash. What per cent discount does he offer?
25. A dealer offers some goods for $10.80 less than the regular price, a discount of 12%. What is the regular price?
26. The regular price of some goods is $496, but they cost a dealer 85% of this sum. How much is the discount?
27. A dealer buys a bill of goods amounting to $1875. He is allowed a discount of 8% on this bill. How much is the discount?
28. A dealer buys a bill of goods amounting to $2250. He is allowed a discount of 6% on this bill. What is the net amount of the bill ?
29. A dealer buys a bill of goods amounting to $2800, but by paying cash he settles it for $2576. What is the rate of discount allowed ?
30. A dealer buys a bill of goods, and by paying cash he saves $94.50. The rate of discount being 7%, what is the original bill? How much does he pay ?
31. A dealer buys a bill of goods amounting to $2575, but by paying cash he settles it for $231.75 less. What is the rate of discount allowed ?
32. The discount on some goods listed at $460 is $115. What is the rate of discount?
33. The discount on some goods is $41.60 at 8%. What is the list price ?
34. The discount on some goods is $2.05 at 124%. What is the list price?
35. A bicycle was marked $45, but was sold at 12% discount. What was the net price?
36. A piano was listed at $550, but was sold at 30% discount. What was the selling price?
37. A jobber bought some goods listed at $2450. He was allowed a discount of 22%. What was the net price?
38. A merchant bought 850 yd. of muslin at 6¢ a yard, less 18%. How much did it all cost ?
39. A merchant bought 975 yd. of lawn for $146.25, less 20%. How much did he pay per yard ?
40. A grocer bought 36 doz. cans of soup listed at $1.75 a dozen. He was allowed a discount of 25%. What was the net price?
41. A dealer sold some boxes of soap, 60 cakes to the box, listed at $2.25 a box. He allowed a discount of 20%. How much did he receive
cake ? 42. What per cent of profit will a man make by paying $17.60 for an article, with a discount of 20% from the list price, and selling it at the list price ?
43. Find the net amount of a bill for $470, the discount being 18%
44. On a bill for $1760 a discount of $105.60 is allowed. What is the rate of discount?
45. A grocer bought 24 doz. pound packages of macaroni for $31.20, less 15%. He sold it for 15¢ per package. How much did he gain in all ?
46. A merchant sold at 121% discount some goods that were marked $272.80. What was the selling price ?
47. A grocer bought 160 small bags of flour, 121 lb. to the bag, listed at 4¢ a pound. He was allowed a discount of 15%. What did the flour cost him ?
48. Find the net amount of a bill for $880 subject to a discount of 12}%; of 61%; of 25%; of 21%.
49. On a bill of $1650 a discount of 84% was allowed. What was the net price ?
50. Find the net cost of a piano marked $675, a discount of 81% being allowed.
51. What is the marked price of an automobile the discount on which is $140 at 8% ?
52. If the marked price of an automobile is $1850 and the selling price is $1702, what is the rate of discount?
53. Which is the better for the purchaser, and how much better : a discount of 163% on a bill for $842.50, or a flat reduction of $140 ?
54. Which is the better for the seller, and how much better: a discount of 12% on a bill for $1275, or a flat reduction of $159 ?
55. Which is the better for the purchaser, and how much better: a discount of 61% on a bill for $625.75, or a flat reduction of $39.25 ?