« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
19. What is of ?
29. A boy, having f of an orange, (that is, 2 pieces,) gave his sister of what he had; how many thirds did he give her?
30. What is of of ?
31. A boy, having it of a pine-apple, said he would give one half of what he had to his sister, if she could tell how to divide it. His sister
You have got , or three pieces ; if you cut them all in two, you can give me of them. But $ of 4 is ; therefore I shall have of the whole pine-apple.
32. What is I of ?
33. A man, owning of a share in the Boston Bank, sold of his part; what part of a share did he sell ?
34. What is of ?
35. A man, owning of a ship, sold I of his share; what part of the whole ship did he sell ? What part had he left ?
36. What is į of ?
42. A, man, owning & of a share in the Boston Bank, sold of his part; what part of a whole share did he sell?
43. What is į of ? 44. What is of 4?
45. A boy, having of a water-melon, wished to divide his part equally between his sister, his brother, and himself, but was at a loss to know how to do it; but his sister advised him to cut each of the fifths into 3 equal parts. How many pieces did each have? and what part of the whole melon was each piece?
46. What is of 47. What is of 48. What is } of 49. What is $ of ? 50. What is it of 51. What is į of 52. What is of 53. What is of 54. What is of 55. What is of 56. What is şof 57. What is of 58. What is 59. What is of 60. What is of 61. What is fof 62. What is į of ?? 63. What is of ? 64. What is to off 65. What is to off 66. What is of 67. What is of ? 68. What is šof ? 69. If a yard of cloth cost 2 dollars, what will of a yard cost? 70. What is 1 of 27? 71. A boy had 24 oranges, and wished to give ! of them to his sister, and to his brother; but he
non, n. 1. n. n.
did not know how to divide them equally. His brother told him to cut the whole into halves, and then cut each of the halves into 3 pieces. What
whole orange did each have 72. What is of 23?
73. A man bought 4 bushels of corn for 3 dollars; what part of a dollar did i bushel cost ?
Change the 34 to thirds, and then find 1 of y as above.
74. What is 1 of 5%?
75. If 5 bushels of wheat cost 7 dollars, what is that a bushel ?
76. What is 1 of 7?
77. A man bought 6 gallons of brandy for 8f dollars; what was that a gallon ?
78. What is of 8z?
79. A man bought 7 gallons of wine for 84 dollars; how much was that a gallon ?.
80. What is 4 of 84?
81. A man bought 10 pieces of nankin for 67 dollars ; how much was it a piece ?
82. What is to of 63 ?
83. If 9 bushels of rye cost 72 dollars, what is that a bushel ? 84. What is f of 7? 85. What is 5 of 54? 86. What is į of 8? 87. What is of 61%? 88. What is į of 94?
89. A man bought 7 yards of cloth for 185 dol lars; what was that a yard? What would 3 yards cost at that rate ?
90. What is 7 of 187? What is of 181?
91. A man bought 5 barrels of cider for 273 dollars; what was it a barrel ? What would 7 barrels cost at that rate ? 92. What is of 27j? What is 7 of 278?
93. If 6 barrels of flour cost 384 dollars, what would 10 barrels cost at that rate?
94. What is 10 of 384 ?
B. 1. A man bought a piece of cloth for 42 dollars, and was obliged to sell it for 4 of what it cost him; how much did he lose?
2. A man bought a quantity of flour for 534 dellars, and sold it for f of what it cost him; how much did he gain ?
3. If 7 men can do a piece of work in 44 days, how long will it take 1 man to do it? How long will it take 3 men to do it?
4. If 4 men can do a piece of work in 9 days, how long would it take to do it if 7 men were employed?
5. There is a pole standing so that of of it is in the water, and as much in the mud; how much is in the mud ?
6. If a man can travel 13miles in 3 hours, how many miles will he travel in 8 hours ?
7. If 5 horses will eat 267 loads of hay in a year, what will 8 horses eat in the same time?
8. If 4 cocks will empty a cistern in 6 hours, how long will it take 7 cocks of the same size to
A. 1. A Boy, having 2 oranges, wished to give of an orange apiece to his playmates; how many could he give them to ? If he had given of an orange apiece, how
many could he have given them to ? 2. How many times are there in 2 ? How many times are there in 2?
3. A man, having 3 bushels of corn, distributed it among some poor persons, giving them of a bushel each; to how many did he give it?
Note. Find first how many he would have given it to, if he had given 1 of a bushel to each. 4. In 3 are how many times 1 ? How many times ?
5. If şof a barrel of flour will last a family one month, how long will 4 barrels last the same family? How long will 6 barrels last? How long will 10 barrels last?
6. How many times is contained in 4? How many times in 6? How many times in 10?
7. If of a bushel of wheat will last a family one week, how many weeks will 64 bushels last the same family?
8. How many times is a contained in 61? 9. There is a cistern having a cock , which will fill it in of an hour; how many times would the cock fill the cistern in 37 hours ?
10. How many times is contained in 3 ?
11. How much cloth at 11 dollars (that is, I dollars) a yard can be bought for 4 dollars ?
12. How many times is 11 or contained in 4 ?
13. A man distributed 81 bushels of wheat among some poor persons, giving 11 bushels to each; how many did he give it to ?
14. How many times is 11 contained in 81 ?
15. If a soldier. is allowed 14 pounds (that is, of a pound) of meat in a day, to how many soldiers would 6 pounds be allowed ?
16. How many times is 13 contained in 6?
17. If 14 tons of hay will keep a horse through the winter, how many horses will 10 tons keep?
18. How many times is iş contained in 10?
19. At 21 dollars a box, how many boxes of rala sins can be bought for 10 dollars ?
20. How many times is 21 contained in 10?