« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
5. An agent sold $2275 worth of goods at 2% commission. What was his commission ?
6. A commission merchant received $318.25 for selling $12,730 worth of bankrupt goods. What was his rate of commission?
7. A merchant sent his agent in Cincinnati $7000 to invest in pork, after deducting his commission at 21%. What was his commission, and how much did he invest?
8. An agent received a certain sum of money to invest in goods after deducting his commission of 3%. He invested $6250. What sum did he receive ?
9. If I send my agent $4050 to invest in goods after deducting 3% commission, what sum will he invest?
10. What is the commission at 3% for selling 125 bbl. of potatoes at $2.374 per bbl. ?
11. A commission merchant receives 21 commission for buying grain for a customer. The cost of the grain and his commission = $4223. How much does the grain cost?
$ 12. Find the amount of an agent's sales when his commission at 5% $37.65.
13. A real estate agent collects the annual rent of a house and retains $13.25 as his commission at 21%. What is the rental of the house?
14. My attorney collected a bill for me at a commission of 121% and paid me a net sum of $56. How much money did he collect?
15. An agent collected 20% of an account of $860, charging 4% commission. Find commission and sum paid over.
16. My agent collected 90% of a debt of $5600 and charged 71% commission. How much should I receive from him ?
17. A sale of real estate returned, as net proceeds, $2396.49, after paying $324.18 charges and a commission of 2%. For how much did it sell ?
18. Had sold for me 500 bbl. of apples at $4.50 per bbl., paying 21% commission ; had bought for me with the proceeds wheat at 70 cts. a bu., paying 3% commission. How many bu. of wheat did I obtain ?
19. How much commission must be paid to a collector for collecting an account of $928.75 at 3} %?
20. An agent's commission for selling grain was $76.80, at 4%. How much did he get for the grain ?
21. A real estate agent sold a house for $7500 and charged *% commission. Find the net proceeds of the sale.
22. An agent sold goods to the amount of $8725. What was his commission at 21%?
23. A consignee sells $6742 worth of woollen goods, charging 23% commission and 13% for insuring payment. What sum will he pay over to the consignor?
24. I send $10,000 to my correspondent in New Orleans to invest in cotton. His commission is 1% for buying. What sum does he invest and what is his commission ?
25. A man receives $1500 commission on his yearly sales. What is the amount of his sales if he is allowed 1% commission ?
26. To be invested in cotton at 15 cents a lb., $21,630.00; commission allowed, 24%; marine insurance paid, 11% ; cartage and freight paid, 11%. Find the sum invested in cotton and the number of lb. of cotton bought.
Formulæ to be used.
1. I sold a horse, which cost me $250, at a loss of 35%. What did I get for him?
2. What is an agent's commission on the purchase of an estate for $30,000, at 11% ?
3. By selling a watch for $19, the seller loses 5% on his outlay. What would have been his loss or gain per cent. if he had sold the watch for $23.75?
4. A merchant's prices are 25% above cost price; if he allows a customer 12% on his bill, what profit does he make?
5. If my broker buys for me goods worth $13,000, and his commission is 11%, how much must I pay him ?
6. A speculator sells at a profit of 75%, but his purchasers fail, and only pay 25 cents on a dollar. How much does the speculator gain or lose by this venture ?
7. A man gains 15% in buying an article, and again 15% in selling it. Find the whole of his gain per cent.
8. If goods marked at 45% above cost are sold at 40% off, what is the gain or loss per cent. ?
. 9. If 8% be lost by selling an article for $25.50, what per cent. is gained or lost if it be sold at $38.00 ?
10. A carriage is sold for $175, which is 30% less than cost. What was the cost ?
11. An army lost 18% of its men by disease and desertion, and then lost 14% of the remainder in battle; the number then remaining was 84,624. Of how many men did the army consist at first?
12. If I sell a piano, which cost $275, for $315, what is the rate per cent. of gain ?
13. If I buy coffee at 16 cents, and sell it at 20 cents a pound, what per cent. do I make ?
14. A cargo of wheat was sold for $12,500, by which a gain of 25% was made. What was the amount of net gain, after paying $150 freight and $75 for other charges ?
15. If the commission is 1} per cent., what bill will $3950 buy?
16. An auctioneer sells for me a carriage for $140, a table for $15, 50 yd, of carpet at 60 cts. a yd. His commission is
. 21%. What will be due me for the goods ?
17. A commission merchant, receiving 21% commission, had 410 bu. of potatoes sent him, with orders to sell at 96 cents
bu. He held them until he received $492 above his commission. What per cent. was made by holding them ?
18. At what price must I sell goods that cost $3 to gain 20% ?
19. What per cent. of $90 is 331% of $67.50 ?
20. Having purchased a farm for $9000, and spent $2500 in improvements, I sold it for $13,800. What per cent. did I make on my investment?
21. A man sold a set of harness for $15, and lost 16%%. If he had sold it at a profit of 20%, what would he have received ?
22. What per cent is gained by selling 15 ounces of tea for what a pound costs ?
23. A speculator sold 2760 bu. of wheat at $1.00 per bu., and lost 8%. How much per cent. would he have gained had he sold at $1.20 a bu. ?
24. Which is the better, a discount of 25% and 10% off the remainder, or a discount of 33}% off?
25. A broker sells 4000 bu. of wheat, and, after deducting his commission of 2%, remits by check $4900. At what price per bu. did he sell the wheat ?
26. I sent a commission agent 500 bbl. of potatoes, which he sold at $2.50 per bbl. His charges were: commission, 21%; storage, 13%; cartage, $9.00. How much was due me?
27. A drummer earns $3000 annually. $1500 is guaranteed; the remainder is his commission, at 5%. What are his annual sales ?
28. I bought 1000 gross of screws at 27 cents, at a discount
of 15, 10, and 5. I sold the lot at cost plus 30%. What was my gain?
29. Offered cattle for sale at 25% above cost, but was obliged to sell them for 14% less than that mark, and gained thereby $170. What did the cattle cost ? What did I ask for them? How much did I sell them for ?
30. Received $2020 to buy with ; commission, 1% Find the cost.
31. Collection, $14,000 ; commission, $420. Find the rate.
STOCKS AND BONDS.
DEFINITIONS. 1. Stock is invested capital, and is represented by certificates which attest the ownership of a certain number of shares.
2. Bonds are written obligations, in which an agreement is made to pay a specified amount on or before a specified date, with interest.
3. The Face-Value is the sum mentioned in certificates and bonds. When stocks and bonds sell for their face-value, they are said to be at par. When they sell for more than their face-value, they are said to be at a premium. When they sell below their face-value, they are said to be at a discount.
4. Coupons certify to interest due, and are cut of' and surrendered when the interest is paid.
5. Bonds are issued by corporations organized under law, and take their name from the name of the corporation that has issued them. “ Buffalo Railway–4–0-81,” means stock issued by the Buffalo Railway Company, rate 4%, interest payable quarterly, now selling at $84 per share,—i.e., at a discount.
6. Stock Brokers buy and sell stocks and bonds; their