« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
REVIEW OF PERCENTAGE AND INTEREST
1. A boy has $30 in a savings bank and deposits a sum equal to 10% more. What is his total deposit?
2. Mr. James's salary is $ 1200 per year and he saves 331% of it. How much does he spend?
3. Hats that cost $36 per dozen are sold at $2 apiece. Find the loss per cent.
4. My deposit in the bank on Thursday was $80; on Saturday my balance was $50. What per cent of my money did I draw out?
5. A boy spends $8 for an overcoat and 37% of that sum for shoes. How much does he spend for shoes?
6. In a school of 45 pupils, 331% of the pupils are boys. What is the number of girls?
7. My deposit January 1 in the savings bank is $25. What is the interest on it one year later at 4% interest, dividends payable the first of each January and July?
8. Find 25% of .05; of .5; of 5.5; of .25.
9. John earns $50 during his vacation and Margaret 25% as much as John. How much does Margaret earn?
10. If a man spends one fourth of his salary for board and clothes, what per cent of his salary does he save ?
11. What per cent of $80 is $ 60?
12. A man buys a horse for $80 and sells it for $100. Find the per cent gained.
13. A house is insured for $1200, and the insurance company agrees to pay $120 for damage done to it by fire; what per cent of the total insurance is paid?
14. A farmer sold a horse that cost him $80 at a loss of 20%. Find the selling price.
15. What is the interest of $150 for 2 years at 6% ?
16. It cost $2.50 to repair my watch valued at $20. What per cent of the value did I pay for repairs?
17. Find the interest on $100 for 60 days at 5%.
18. My father borrows $75 from his neighbor and promises to pay it in 4 months at 6%. Find the amount my father must pay at the end of four months.
19. A huckster buys eggs at $.20 per dozen. much per dozen must he sell them to gain 20% ?
20. If I borrow $50 from Mr. James for 6 months at 6%, how much interest must I pay him?
21. A grocer sold flour last week at $1.20 per sack and this week at 10% advance on last week's selling price. Find the price of flour per sack this week.
22. A huckster buys 150 dozen eggs at $.20 per dozen and sells them to a merchant at a gain of 25%. The merchant sells them at a gain of 20%. How much does the merchant receive for the eggs?
23. If I buy cloth at $1.50 a yard, for how much must I sell it to gain 331% ?
24. A man sold a horse for $120 that cost him $150. What % did he gain or lose?
25. A boy deposits $50 the first of each year in a savings bank that pays 4% interest, payable the first of each January and July. What will be the total amount in bank after he has made two deposits?
26. A grocer buys goods to the amount of $1200, 10% off for cash. He sells them for $1500 cash. How much does he gain?
REVIEW OF PERCENTAGE AND INTEREST
27. A mother took two boys and a girl to a store to buy clothes. The first boy's suit cost $10 less 10% for cash. The second boy's suit cost 66% of the cash sale of the first boy's suit. The girl's coat cost 33% of the money paid for both boys' suits. How much did the mother pay for the children's clothes?
28. Find 25% of 200, and divide the result by .001.
29. A farmer sold 425 sheep, which were 34% of all he had. How many sheep did he have?
30. A man buys a house and lot for $5000. It costs every year $25 for repairs and $50 for taxes and insurance. He rents the house for 8% of its cost. How much has he left after paying expenses ?
31. A coal dealer bought 300 tons of coal for $600. The freight, storage, and delivery cost 33% of the cost of the coal. What was the retail price per ton if he sold it at a gain of 121% ?
32. If 40% of a man's interest in a store is valued at $14,000, what is his interest?
33. A real estate agent purchased a house for $1250. For how much per month must he rent the house to make 6% after paying each year $18 for taxes and insurance and $15 for repairs?
34. A merchant has invested in his building and store $6000. After paying all the expenses he finds he has cleared for the year $1200. What per cent does he make on the cost of the building and store?
HAM. INT. ARITH.-17
RECEIPTS AND CHECKS
John Watson pays James Adams $35.50 for work for one month, and asks Mr. Adams for a receipt. Fill out this receipt to show that the money was paid by Mr. Watson and received by Mr. Adams.
Rochester, N. Y., June 1, 1907.
1. What must every receipt show? (see p. 99).
2. Write the receipt your grocer would give you in payment of $18.50 on account by your father or mother.
3. Your school district pays the National Book Company, New York, $ 25.75 for school books on Sept. 15, 1907. Make out the receipt of the National Book Company.
4. Henry Smith received $3.65 from James Brown for 3 months' water rent. Make out a receipt for the amount.
5. Ralph Taylor pays H. W. Henderson $5 for a month's tuition. Write the receipt Ralph Taylor should receive.
6. Write a receipt for $75 which Nelson Page paid Edgar Poe for balance due on a buggy.
3 shirts @ $1.75
7. Make out and receipt the bill for the following articles bought by James Thomas from Jos. Horne & Co. :
8. Presuming that you are a collector for the GazetteTimes, Pittsburg, Pa., make out a receipt to a subscriber who has paid you $ 2.60 in full of account.
A check is an order on a bank where a person keeps a deposit, ordering the bank to pay money.
Jan. 10, '07
Seattle, Wash., Jan. 10, 1907.
Pay to the order of James Ward $6700
W. J. Moore.
Study of Check
1. Name the different things stated in this check.
2. Observe that this check is payable to the order of James Ward. He orders it paid by writing his name across the back of it. This is called indorsing the check.
3. Write the check your father would give your teacher in payment of $3.50 for September tuition.
4. Emil Smith borrows from Joseph McLean $240 to attend school and pays the same in 2 yr. 4 mo. 18 da. at 6%. Write the amount of the check that would pay the note.