« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
Miscellaneous Examples. 1. At 4s. 3d. per bushel, what cost 3 bushels of 2. At 2s. 3d. per yard, what cost 4 yards of cloth ? 3. What cost 7 lb. of coffee, at Is. 6d. per lb. ? 4. What cost 3 gallons of wine, at 8s. 3d. per gal. ?
5. What cost 4 quintals of fish, at 13s. 3d. per quintal ?
6. What cost 5 cwt. of iron, at 1£. 9s. 4d.
8. What cost 9 yds. of broadcloth, at 2£. 6s. Sd.
9. How much sugar in 3 boxes, each box containing 14 lb. 7 oz. ? 10. At 3£. 9s.per cwt., what cost 7 cwt. of wool?
11. What is the value of 5 cwt. of raisins, at 2£. 1s. 8d. per cwt. ?
12. How much wool in 3 packs, each pack weighing 2 cwt. 2 qrs. 13 lb. ?
13. What is the weight of 5 casks of raisins, each cask weighing 2 cwt. 3 qrs. 25 lb. ?
14. What is the weight of 12 pockets of hops, each pocket weighing 1 cwt. 2 qrs. 17 Ib. ?
15. What is the weight of 16 pigs of lead, each pig weighing 3 cwt. 2 qrs. 17 lb. ?
Note. Divide the multiplier into factors as in Art. IV.; that is, find the weight of 4 pigs and then of 16.
16. At 7s. 4d. per bushel, what cost 18 bushels of wheat ?
17. What cost 21 cwt. of iron, at 1£. 6s. 8d. per cwt. ?
18. What cost 28 lb. of tea, at 5s. 7d. per lb. ? 19. What cost 32 lb. of coffee, at Is. 8d. per
Ib. ? 20. What cost 23 lb. of tea, at 4s. 3d. per
Ib. ? Note. Find the price of 21 lb. and then of 2 lb. and add them together, Art. IV.
21. What cost 26 yds. of cloth, at 8s. 9d. per yd. ? 22. What cost 34 cwt. of rice, at 1£. Is. 8d. per
23. If an ounce of silver cost 6s. 9d., what is that per lb. Troy? What would 2 lb. 7 oz. cost?
24. What is the value of 38 yds. of cloth, at 2£. 6s. 4d. per yd.?
25. A man bought a bushel of corn for 5s. 3d., and a bushel of wheat for 75. 6d. ; what did the whole amount to?
26. How much silver in 6 table spoons, each weighing 5 oz. 10 dwts. ?
27. A man bought two loads of hay, one weighing 18 cwt. 3 qrs., and the other 19 cwt. 1 qr.; how much in both ?
28. A man bought one load of hay for 7£. 3s. and another for 6£. 8s. 4d.; how much did he give for both ?
29. A man bought 3 vessels of wine; the first contained 18 gallons; the second 15 gal. 3 qts.; and the third 17 gal. 2 qts. 1 pt.
How much in the 3 vessels ? 30. A merchant bought 4 pieces of cloth. The first contained 18 yds. 3 qrs.; the second 23 yds. 1 qr. 3 nls.; the third 25 yds.; and the fourth 16 yds. 2 qrs. 2 nls. How many yards in the whole ?
31. A man bought 3 bu. 2 pks. of wheat at one time ; 18 bu. 3 pks. at another time ; 9 bu. 1 pk. 5 qts. at a third ; and 16 bu. O pk. 7 qts. at a fourth. How many bushels did he buy in the whole ?
32. A man bought a cask of raisins for 1£. 18s. 4d.; 1 lb. of coffee for Is. 6d. ; 1 cwt. of cocoa for 3£. 175.; 1 keg of molasses for 13s. 7d.; 1 box of lemons for 1£. 3s. ; 1 bushel of corn for 4s. 3d. How much did the whole amount to?
33. A man bought 4 bales of cotton. The first contained 4 cwt. 2 qrs. 16 lb. ; the second 3 cwt. 1 qr. 14 lb.; the third 5 cwt. 0 qr. 23 lb.; and the fourth 4 cwt. 3 qrs. What was the weight of the whole ?
34. A merchant bought a piece of cloth, containing 19 yds. 3 qrs., and sold 4 yds. I qr. of it; how much had he left ?
35. A grocer drew out of a bhd. of wine 17 gal. 3 qts.; how much remained in the hogshead ?
36. A bought of B a bushel of wheat for 7s. 6d. He gave him 1 bushel of corn worth 5s. 3d. and paid the rest in money. How much money did he pay?
37. C bought of B a bale of cotton for 18£. 4s. and B bought of C 4 barrels of four for 9£. 3s. C paid B the rest in money.
How much money did he pay? 38. If from a piece of cloth, containing 9 yds. you cut off 1 yd. 1 qr., how much will there be left ?
39. If from a piece of cloth, containing 18 yds. 1 qr. you cut off 3 yds. 3 qrs., how much will be left ?
40. If from a box of butter, containing 15 lb. there be taken 6 lb. 3 oz., how much will be left?
41. A man sold a box of butter for 17s. 4d., and in pay received 7 lb. of sugar, worth 9d. 2qr. per lb. and the rest in money. How much money did he receive ?
42. A countryman sold a load of wood for 2£. 8s. and received in pay 3 gal. of molasses at 2s. 3d. per gal., 8 lb. of raisins at Tod. per lk., 1 gal. of wine at ils. 3d. and the rest in money. How much money did he receive ?
43. A smith bought 17 cwt. 3 qrs. of iron, and after having wrought a few days, wishing to know how much of it he had wrought, he weighed what he had left, and found he had 8 cwt. I qr. 13 lb. How much had he wrought?
44. A merchant bought 110 bars of iron, weighing 53 cwt. 1 gr. 11 lb., of which he sold 19 bars, weighing 9 cwt. 3 qrs. 15 lb. How much had he left?
45. A merchant bought 17 cwt. 2 qrs. 1 lb. of sugar, , and sold 13 cwt. 3 qrs. 17 lb. How much remains unsold?
46. From a piece of cloth, which contained 43 yds. 1 qr., a tailor cut 3 suits, containing 6 yds. 2 qrs. 2 nls. each. How much cloth was there left?
47. The revolutionary war between England and America commenced April 19th, 1775, and a general peace took Jan. 20th, 1783. How long did the war continue ?
48. The war between England and the United States commenced June 18th, 1812, and continued 2 years 8 months 18 days. When was peace concluded ?
49. The transit of Venus (that is, Venus appeared to pass over the sun) A. D. 1769, took place at Greenwich, Eng. June 4th, 5 h. 20 min. 50 sec. morn. Owing to the difference of longitude between London and Boston it would take place 4 hours 44 min. 16 sec. earlier by Boston time. At what time did it take place at Boston?
X. 1.* If 1 yard of cloth is worth 2 dollars, what is of a yard worth? 2. What is of 2 dollars ?
3. If 2 dollars will buy 1 lb. of indigo, how much will i dollar buy? How much will 3 dollars buy? How much will 7 dollars buy? How much will 23 dollars buy? How much will 125 dollars buy ?
4. At 3 shillings per bushel, what will } of a bushel of corn cost ? What will of a bushel cost ?
5. At 3 dollars a barrel, what part of a barrel of cider will 1 dollar buy? What part of a barrel will 2 dollars buy? How much will 4 dollars buy? How much will 5 dollars buy? How much will 8 dollars buy? How much will 28 dollars buy ?
6. At 3 dollars a box, how many boxes of raisins may be bought for 125 dollars ?
7. How many bottles, holding 3 pints each, may be filled with 85 gallons of cider?
8. At 4 dollars a yard, how much will į of a yard of cloth cost? How much will of a yard cost ? How much will of a yard cost?
9. At 4 dollars a box, what part of a box of oranges may be bought for 1 dollar?' What part for 2 dollars ? 'What part for 3 dollars ? How many boxes may be bought for 5 dollars ? How many for 19 dollars ?
10. At 4 dollars a barrel, how many barrels of rye flour may be bought for 327 dollars?
* See First Lessons, sect. III. art. B.
11. At 5 dollars a cord, what will of a cord of wood cost? What will j cost? What will cost ? What will cost ? What cost? What will cost ? · 12. At 5 dollars a week, what part of a week's board can I have for 1 dollar ? What part for 2 dollars ? What part for 3 dollars ? What part for 4 dollars ? How long can I be boarded for 7 dollars ? How long for 18 dollars? How long for 39 dollars ? : 13. At 5 dollars a barrel, how many barrels of fish may be bought for $453 ?
14. If a firkin of butter cost 6 dollars, how much will of a firkin cost? How much will cost? How much will cost? How much will cost? How much will * cost ? 15. At 6 dollars a ream, what
paper may be bought for 1 dollar? What part for 2 dollars ? What part for 5 dollars? How many reams may be bought for 17 dollars ? How many will 56 dollars buy ?
16. At 6 dollars a barrel, how many barrels of flour may be bought for 437 dollars ?
17. If a stage runs at the rate of 7 miles in an hour, in what part of an hour will it run 1 mile? In what part of an hour will it run 3 miles ? In what part of an hour will it run 5 miles? In what time will it run 17 miles? In what time will it run 59 miles ? In what time will it run from Boston to New York, it being 250 miles ?
18. At 8 dollars a chaldron, how many chaldrons of coals may be bought for 75 dollars ?
19. At 5 dollars a ream, how many reams of paper may be bought for 253 dollars?
20. At 7 dollars a barrel, how many barrels of flour may be bought for 2,434 dollars ?
21. At 9 dollars a barrel, how many barrels of beef may be bought for 3,827 dollars ?
22. At 8 dollars a cord, how many cords of wood may be bought for 853 dollars ?
23. At 17 cents per lb., how many pounds of chocolate may be bought for $1.00? How many lb. for $2.00? How many lb. for $8.87 ?