« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
15. Draw a square inch and show that I of it = te of it; that of it = 1 of it.
16. If I of a man's weekly wages is $2.75, how much is of his weekly wages ? SUGGESTION. — 1 is how many times 1 ?
17. 31 pounds of rice cost 35 cents. At that rate how much will 7 pounds cost ?
18. If I of my money is $10, and George has 6 times my money, how much has George ?
19. In New York 94 inches of rain fell in 4 months. At that rate how much will fall in a year ?
20. If a man pays $3675 for 60 acres of land, at the same rate, how much should he pay for 120 acres ? 21. My telephone bill is $12.85 a month.
. At that rate how much should I pay in 24 years ?
22. My coal bill for 51 tons is $11. What is the bill of my neighbor who buys 271 tons at the same rate ?
23. If 30 bushels of oats sell for $13.20, how much will 60 bushels sell for ?
24. If a boy receives $7.50 for two weeks' work, how much should he receive for 12 weeks' work?
25. How much will a clerk earn in a year if he earns $180 in 3 months ?
26. If 4 tons of coal cost $84, how much will 16 tons cost ?
27. When 5 books cost $17.50, how much will 25 such books cost?
28. A man walked 114 miles in 3 hours. At the same rate, how far would he walk in 15 hours?
REVIEW OF FRACTIONS
If he puts
1. A boy earns $24 a week and spends $13. the remainder in bank, what will his bank account be in 19 weeks?
2. May went to the store with $ 20. If she spends $21 for a pair of shoes and $ 44 for a hat, what change will she receive ?
3. From a web of muslin containing 60 yards, 194 yd. were sold to one customer, 13] yd. to another, and 91 yd. to another. How many yards remained ?
4. A dealer sold 2 loads of coal at $10; a ton. If the first load contained 23 T., and the second 34 T., how much did he receive ?
5. How many yards of muslin can be bought for 75%, if 3 yards cost 25¢?
6. If John weighs 964 lb. and Mary weighs 361 lb. less than John, how much do they both weigh ?
7. A farmer bought 480 acres of land. He sold 148, acres to one man, and 1251 acres to another. What was the remainder worth at $20 an acre ?
8. How many days will it take a man to earn $1261, if he earns $24 a day?
9. A man dies leaving $ 4440. He leaves 1 of it to his son, of it to his daughter, f of it to his widow, and the rest to a hospital. How much does each receive ?
10. John bought 3 pieces of cloth containing 191 yd., 261 yd., and 353 yd. respectively. How many yards did he buy?
11. A man worked 434 hr. one week, and 5646 hr. the next. How many hours did he work in the two weeks?
12. Mr. Jones one day spent 3 half dollars, 7 quarters, 15 nickels, and 3 cents. How much did he spend ?
13. A jeweler bought 365 clocks for $4380, and sold them so as to gain $3 on each one. What was the selling price
per clock ?
14. A dealer sold 165 horses for $7425, which sum was $495 more than they had cost him. What was the average cost of each horse ?
15. Mrs. Smith bought 4 pieces of lace containing 4g yd., 64 yd., 52 yd., and 97 yd., respectively. How much were they worth at 121 $ a yard ?
16. If an acre of land is worth $32, how much is of an acre worth?
17. A man paid $45 for å of a quantity of grain. Find the value of the entire quantity at the same rate.
18. How many poor families can be supplied with of a ton of coal each, from 97 tons ?
19. Find the cost of 361 pounds of tea at 32¢ a pound.
20. If of a yard of silk cost 45 cents, what is the value of 61 yards at the same rate ?
21. What number taken from the sum of 167 and 284 will leave 194?
22. What is the cost of of a yard of muslin at 12¢ a half yard ?
23. The sum of two numbers is 1263, and the larger number is 941. What is the smaller number?
24. A man spends $61 for board, $121 for clothing, $ 51 for books, and has $12 left. How many dollars and cents had he at first ?
25. If 75¢ is the cost off of a yard of cloth, what is the cost of 5 yards ?
26. $1.50 is the value of of a yard of broadcloth. How many yards can be bought for $20 ?
27. of a number is 9. What is the number?
28. In traveling 72 miles a man went g of the distance the first day, s of the distance the second day, and the remainder the third day. How far did he travel the third day?
29. From a farm of 2254 acres there were sold 1502 acres. How many acres were left?
30. How much must be paid for 16 tables at $74 each? 31. At $ each, how many books can I buy for $36 ?
32. A man bought a hat for $54, a pair of shoes for $61, a pair of gloves for $3), and a suit for $221. How much did he pay for all ?
33. A clerk earns $75 a month and spends $361. How much has he left?
34. At $.87} a bushel, what is the cost of 56 bushels of grain?
35. How many chairs, at $54 each, can be bought for $ 2621?
36. A lady bought of a yard of narrow lace, 18 yards of medium width ribbon, and 21 yards of wide lace. How many yards did she buy in all ?
37. From a piece of muslin containing 40 yards there were sold 257 yards. How many yards remained ?
38. At $.121 a yard, what is the cost of 42 yd. of muslin?
39. How many pencils, at j¢ each, can be bought for $1.16?
40. One coat requires 23 yards. How many coats can be made out of 358 yards ?
41. John weighs 1241 pounds, and Ned weighs 184 pounds less. How many pounds does Ned weigh?
42. A farmer sold 35bushels at one time, and 217 bushels at another time. How many bushels did he sell?
43. A tailor uses 9f yards of cloth for a suit. How yards will it take for 32 suits?
44. John and James cut 3 cords of wood in one day. In how many days can they cut 81% cords?
45. A man raised 2361 bushels of oats, and sold 1294 bushels. How many bushels had he left?
46. A man exchanged with a grocer 24 bushels of potatoes at 60$ a bushel, for 6pounds of bacon. How much did the grocer charge per pound for the bacon ?
47. A merchant sold some grain for $63 which was of its cost. What was the cost of the grain?
48. g of a building is valued at $300? What is the value of the whole building ?
49. 11 lb. of butter cost 30%. Find the cost of 2 lb. 50. A owns 160 sheep and B owns 1
as many as A. C owns , as many as B. How many sheep do all own?
51. Show how the denominators of fractions may be changed to denominations of higher value.
52. How many potatoes are there in 12 barrels, if one barrel contains 2 bushels 3 pecks?
53. 48 — 121 = ? 12:53 = ? 105 - 13 = ?
54. For 5 cents one can buy 3 oranges. How much must be paid for 12 oranges?