« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
what will 1 third cost !! If I third of a yard cost 2 dollars, what will a yard cost ?*
16. If 4 is 2 thirds of some number, what is 1 third of the same number ! 2 is 1 third of what number ?*_ Then 4 is 2 thirds of what ?
17. If 2 thirds of a barrel of flour cost fi dollars, what will I third of a barrel cost? If I third of a barrel cost 3 dollars, what will a barrel cost ?*
18. If 6 is 2 thirds of some number, what is I third of the same number?-3 is 1 third of what number 1-Then 6 is 2 thirds of what ?
19. If 3 fourths of a bushel of wheat cost 6 shillings, what will I fourth of a bushel cost ? If 1 fourth of a bushel cost 2 shillings, what will a bushel cost ?
20. If 6 is 3 fourths of some number, what is 1 fourth of the same number -2 is 1 fourth of what number ?-Then 6 is 3 fourths of what ?
21. If 2 fifths of a gallon of wine cost 4 shillings, what will 1 fifth of a gallon cost? If 1 fifth of a gallon cost ? shillings, what will a gallon cost?
22. If 4 is 2 fifths of some number, what is 1 fifth of the same number ? 2 is I fifth of what number? - Then 4 is 2 fifths of what ?
23. If 3 sevenths of a pound of tobacco cost 6 cents, what will 1 seventh of a pound cost ? If 1 seventh of a pound cost 2 cents, what will a pound cost ?
24. If 6 is 3 sevenths of some number, what is 1 seventh of the same number 1-2 is 1 seventh of what number?-Then 6 is 3 sevenths of what ?
25. If 2 sevenths of a barrel of fish cost 4 dollars, what will 1 seventh of a barrel cost? What will a barrel cost?
26. 4 is 2 sevenths of what number? 27. If 3 eighths of a pound of chocolate cost o
* See this section, article A.
cents, what will 1 eighth of a pound cost? What will a pound cost ?
23. 6 is 3 eighths of what number?
29. If eight cents will buy 2 fifths of a pound of aquafortis, how many cents will buy a pound !
30. 8 is 2 fifths of what number?
31. A man bought 3 fourths of a hundred weight of yellow ochre for 9 dollars; what was that a hundred weight?
32. 9 is three fourths of what number?
C. 1. If 5 eighths of a cask of claret wine cost 15 dollars, what is that a cask'? How much cider at 4 dollars a barrel would it take to pay for a cask of the wine ?
2. 15 is five eighths of how many times 4 ?
3. If 2 thirds of a pound of coffee cost 18 cents, how much would a pound cost ? How many oranges at 5 cents apizce, might be bought for a pound ?
4. 18 is 2 thirds of how many times 5 ? 5. A man bought 4 sevenths of a hundred weight of sugar for 20 shillings, how many dollars would a hundred weight come to at the same rate ?
6. 20 is 4 sevenths of how many times 6 ?
7. A man sold a cow for 21 dollars, which was only seven tenths of what she cost him ; how much did she cost him ? When he bought her, le paid for her with cloth at 8 dollars a yard; how many yards of cloth did he give ?
8. 21 is 7 tenths of how many times 8?
9. A man being asked the age of his youngeet son, answered, that the age of his eldest son was 24 years, which was 3 fifths of his own age; and that his own age was 10 times as much as that of his youngest son; what was his age ? and what was the age of his youngest son ?
10. 24 is 3 fifths of how many times 10?
D. 1. A boy gave away 4 cents, which was 1 third of all he had; how many bad he at first ?
2. A boy gave 5 apples to one of his companions,
which was 1 fourth of what he had; how many had he ?
3. A man paid away 4 dollars, which was 2 thirds of all the money he had; how much had he ?
4. A man sold a watch for 18 dollars, which was 3 fourths of what it cost him; how much did it cost?
5. A man sold a cow for 15 dollars, which was 3 fifths of what the cow cost; how much did he lose by his bargain ?
6. A man bought 12 yards of cloth, and sold it for 54 dollars, which was 9 eighths of what it cost him ; what did it cost him a yard ? and how much did he gain by his bargain !
7. There is a pole standing in the water, so that 10 feet of it is above the water, which is 2 thirds of the whole length of the pole; how long is the pole?
8. There is a pole two thirds under water, and 4 feet out ; how long is the pole ?
9. There is a pole two fifths under water, and 6 feet out of the water; how long is the pole ?
10. There is an orchard, in which 3 sevenths of the trees bear cherries, and 2 sevenths bear peaches, and 10 trees bear plums; how many trees are there in the orchard ? and how many of each sort?
11. There is a school, in which 2 ninths of the boys learn arithmetic, 3 ninths learn grammar, 1 ninth learn geography, 1 ninth learn geometry, and 12 learn to write ; how many are there in the school ? and how many attending to each study?
12. A man sold a watch for 63 dollars, which was 7 fifths of what it cost him ; how much did he gain by the bargain?
1. Ir 1 yard of cloth cost. 4 dollars, what will 5 yards cost?
2. A man bought 3 pounds of raisins, at 7 cents a pound, and 16 oranges, at 4 cents apiece, and I pound of candles for 16 cents; what did they all come to ?
3. A boy had 37 apples ; he kept five himself, and divided the rest equally among four companions ; how many did he give them apiece ?
4. Two men are 40 miles apart, and both travelling the same way; the hindermost man gains upon the other 5 miles each day ; in how many days will he overtake him ?
5. Two men are travelling the same way, one travels at the rate of 38 miles a day, the other, who is behind the former, travels 44 miles ; how much does he gain of the first each day ? and in how many days would he gain 60 miles?
6. A fox is 80 rods before a greyhound, and is running at the rate of 27 rods in a minute, the greyhound is following at the rate of 31 rods in a minute; in how many minutes will the greyhound overtake the fox ?
7. If 2 yards of cloth cost 6 dollars, what would 4 yards cost? what would 12 yards cost ?
8. If 8 sheep cost 24 dollars, what would 3 cost?
9. If 4 tons of hay will keep 3 horses through the winter, how many tons will keep 30 horses the same time ?
10. If a man spends 8 shillings a day, how many dollars will he spend in a week ?
11. Bought 10 pieces of cloth, each containing 5 vards, for 100 dollars; what was it apiece ? and how much a yard ?