« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
59. How many times is 8 contained in 9150; and how many are there over ?
59. Suppose 568 to be a dividend, and 7 the divisor; what is the quotient, and the remainder?
60. Suppose 1953 to be a dividend, and 7 the divi sor; what is the quotient, and the remainder?
61. Divide 564 by 7, and prove the work to be right.
The remainder, in division, is an undivided part of the dividend: therefore, the remainder must be added to the product of the divisor and quotient, to make the product equal to the dividend. 62. Divide 109 by 6, and prove the work to be right. 63. Divide 817 by 5, and prove the work to be right.
SECTION 3. The method of dividing taught in the two preceding sections, is called Short division: the method taught in this section; is called Long division. In long division, we place the quotient on the right hand of the dividend, and perform some operations under the dividend, heretofore performed in the mind. 1. How many times is 4 contained in 95307?
Perceiving that 4 is contained in 9, twice, we place 2 in the quotient, multiply the divisor by
2, and subtract the product (8) 4)95307 (23826 from 9. This is the same as 8
saying in short divisien, '4 in 9,
2 times, and 1 over.' Now. 15
since the 1 over must be joined 12
with the 5, we bring the 5 down 33
to the right of the 1: and then, 32
perceiving that 4 is contained in 10
15, 3 tiines, we place 3 in the 8
quotient, multiply the divisor
by 3, and subtract the product 27
as before. Thus we proceed to 24
bring down every figure of the Remainder 3
dividend, and unite it with the previous remainder.
Perform the following examples by long division.
The divisor not being contain. 8)25648(3206
ed once in the left hand figure 24
of the dividend, we join this fig16 ure with the next.
ing down the 4, we find the divi
sor is not contained in it; there48
fore, we place a 0 in the quotient,
and bring down the next figure. 9. How many times 5 are there in 43 906 ? 10. How many times 9 are there in 70 223 ? 11 How many times 6 are there in 901 500 : 12. How many times 7 are there in 161 635 ? 13. How many times 24 are there in 3762 ? 24)3762(156
This operation is performea
in the same manner that it would 24
have been, if the divisor had 136
consisted of only one figure. 120
The two following examples 162
will show the method of deter144
mining when a figure placed in
the quotient is too great, and 18
when it is too small. 4. How many times is 18 contained in 12 532 ?
In this example, we have 18)12532(697 chosen 7 for the last figure of the 108
quotient; but it appears, that 7 173
times 18 are more than 112, 102
therefore 18 is not contained 7
times in 112. Then and the 112
product arising from it must be 126 rubbed out, and a smaller figure
must be placed in the quotient.
15. How many times is 35 contained in 45 817?
Here we have chosen 8 for 35)45817(1308
the last figure of the quotient; 35
but, after subtracting 3 times 108
35 from 317, there remains, 37. 105
This remainder will contain 317
35, once more; therefore, we 280
must rub out the 8 and the 37
work resulting from it, and
must put 9 in the place of 8. 16. How many times is 47 contained in 804? 17. How many times is 53 contained in 1625 ? 18 How many times is 68 contained in 94 605 ? 19. How many times is 71 contained in 661 419 ? 20. How many times is 108 contains d in 216 ? 21. How many times is 325 contai _d in 7134 ? 22. How many times is 476 conta jed in 92 107 ? 23. How many times is 504 conned in 1008 ? 24. How many times is 651 cor ined in 43 126 ?
RULE FOR DIVISION. When ine divisor does not exceed 9, draw a line under the dividend, find how many times the divisor is contained in the left hand figure, or two left hand figures of the dividend, and write the figure expressing the number of times underneath: if there be a remainder over, conceive it to be prefixed to the next figure of the dividend, and divide the next figure as before. Thus proceed through the dividend. When the divisor is more than 9,
times it is contained in the fewest figures that will contain it, on the left of the dividend, write the figure expressing the number of times to the right of the dividend, for the first quotient figure; multiply the divisor by this figure, and subtract the product from the figures of the dividend considered. Place the next figure of the dividend on the right of the remainder, and divide this number as before. Thus proceed through the dividend.
PROOF. Multiply the divisor and quotient together and to the product add the remainder: the sum will be equal to the dividend, if the work be right.
25. Divide 46242 by 252, and prove the operation. 252)46242(183
46242 26 Divide 74 201 by 625, and prove the operation 27. Divide 408 732 by 9, and prove the operation. 28. Divide 15 362 by 88, and prove the operation. 29. Divide 57 026 by 492, and prove the operation. 30. Divide 982 700 by 53, and prove the operation. 31. Divide 162 941 by 256, and prove the operation. 32. Divide 648 035 by 14, and prove the operation. 33. Divide 106 401 by 333, and prove the operation. 34. Divide 62 509 by 4423, and prove the operation. 35. Divide 1 071 400 by 29, and prove the operation.
36. How many acres of land, at 22 dollars an acre, can be bought for 8514 dollars ?
37. Suppose a man to earn 35 dollars a month; how many months will it take him to earn 490 dollars ?
38. If a man travel 48 miles a day, in how many days will he perform a journey of 3264 miles ? 39. If 774 dollars be divided equally among 18 sail
many dollars will each sailor receive ? 40. If a man's income be 2555 dollars a year, how much is it a day, there being 365 days in a year?
41. The income of the Chancellor of England, is 99 280 dollars a year.
How much is it per day? 42. 63 gallons of water will fill a hogshead. How many hogsheads will 5166 gallons fill?
43. How many hogsheads can be filled from 19721 gallons ? --- and how many gallons will there be left ?
44. Suppose a regiment of 512 men have 8192 pounds of beef; how many pounds are there for each man?
45. Il a dividend be 46 319, and the divisor 807, what is the quotient? -- and what the remainder?
ABBREVIATIONS, When there are ciphers on the right hand of a divisor, cut them off, and omit them in the operation; also cut off and omit the same number of figures from the right hand of the dividend. Finally, place the figures cut off from the dividend, on the right of the remainder.
1. How many times 900 are there in 741 725 ? 9|00)7417125
We divide 7417 by 9; there
remains 1, to which we annex the
25, making the true rem. 125.
times 9060 are there in 287 000 ? When the divisor. is 10, 100, 1000, fc., cut off as many figures from the right hand of the dividend, as there are ciphers in the divisor; the other figures of the dividend will be the quotient, and the figures cut off will : be the remainder,
14. How many times 10 are there in 240 ?
18. 100 cents are equal to 1 dollar. How many dollars are there in 5400 cents ?
19. In 642 cents, how many dollars are there; and how many cents over ?
20. In 1937 cents, how many dollars are there; and how many cents over ?