« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
RULE. To change a whole number to an improper fraction, multiply the whole number by the denominator, and the product will be the numerator.
2. If you cut 17 sheets of paper into half-sheets, how many
halves will there be ? 3. How many fifths of a dollar are there $ 16 ? 4. In 31 pounds, how many sixths of a pound? 5. In 73 yards, how many eighths of a yard ? 6. Change 641 to ninths. Change 641 to tenths. 7. If a stage run 1 mile in of an hour, how many miles would it run in 126 hours ? 8. How many fourths are there in 156? 157
In this example, we add the
3-fourths to the fourths produc4
ed by the multiplication of 15 63-fourths.
by 4, and thus obtaine.
9. How many eighths of a mile in 57 miles ?
12. If } of a dollar will pay for 1 gallon of beer, how much beer can be bought for $69?
13. If [ of a dollar will pay for 3 yards of ribbon, how many yards can be bought for $6?
SECTION 15. CHANGE OF FRACTIONS TO WHOLE NUMBERS. 1. How niany whole ones are there in ?? 3)4 2-thirds.
Since make a whole 1, there 14 wholes.
are as many whole ones in 2
as there are times 3 in 42. RULE. To change an improper fraction to a whole number, divide the numerator by the denominator, ani the quotient will be the whole number.
2. How many whole sheets of paper must be cut into Halves, to make 4 of a sheet?
3. In 245 of a dollar, how many dollars : ?
6. If a stage run 1 mile in of an hour, how many
7. Change 34 to a whole number.
8. Suppose 8 pounds of sugar can be bought for $1; pow many pounds will 2650 of a dollar
for ? 9. Change to a mixed number?
We divide the 87-fifths by 5, and 5)87
obtain 17 whole ones: then, there are 17 2-fifths over, making 17. 10. Change 249 to a mixed number. 11. How many dollars are there in 507 of a dollar ? 12. How many gallons in 2 of a gallon?
13. If } of a dollar will pay for 1 pound of coffee, how many dollars will 312 pounds of coffee cost?
14. If 1 pound of butter cost Ź of a dollar, what would be the price of 491 pounds, at the same rate ?
The sum of these fractions will be an improper frac-
In this example, we add together
the elevenths, and find their sum to 836 6
The be 11; which is equal to 21.
11 we write down, and carry the 2 to 140411
the column of units. 3. What is the sum of 419, 185, 124, 85734, 94, 251, 141, and 254 ?
4. Add together 33+ 25, 141, 97012, 28, 1589, 1240 25, , 100, and is 5. Subtract 1976 from 2258. 22583
We cannot take from , therefore, 1876
we join 1 unit with the making ,
and take a from. We then proceen 3813
to take 6 units from 7 units.
6. Subtract 46031f from 71706. 7. Subtract 6094 from 54200678
8. If 17k yards of cloth be cut from a piece contain ing 49 yards, how much will be left ?
9. A retailer put into a firkin, 28 pounds of butter at one time, 19 pounds at another, and 35 1 pounds at another, and then sold out 25 15 pounds. How many pounds still remained in the firkin ?
SECTION 17. 1. Suppose a rail-road car to run of a mile 'n I minute; what distance will it run in 47 minutes ?
2. How many whole ones in 47 times ?
3. If of a yard of broad-cloth will make 1 jacke, how many yards will it take to make 18 jackets?
4. How many whole ones in 18 times?
5. If of a pound of gunpowder tea cost 1 dollar, how many pounds can be bought for 50 dollars ? 6. How many whole ones in 50 times?
SECTION 18. 1. What is the product of 86%, multiplied by 9? 864
We multiply 4 by 9 thus, 9 times of 9
is 36 ; equal to 54. Then we write
this under the #, and carry the 5 10 779
the product of the 6 units. 2. What is the product of 41%, multiplied by 7?
3. What is the value of a field, which contains 5 acres, allowing it to be worth 541 dollars per acre?
4. How much is 4 times 3518?
54} Here we are obliged to multiply by 28 8 units and 2 tens separately, and we 432
cannot well bring in the product of the 108
fraction by the 2 tens. Therefore, -18
we first multiply the whole numbers,
and then find 28 times , in a separate 15304
operation, which is not here written.
. How much is 92 times 20516 ? 8. How much is 100 times 14 15 ?
9. How many gallons of wine are there in 31 casks, each cask containing 54 [ gallons ?
10. A merchant paid $75 10% apiece, for 47 mules. What did the whole ainount to?
11. If a steam-boat run 236 15 miles in 1 day, what distance will it run in 16 days?
12. How much is 15 times ģ7 ? 13. What cost 75 books, at 10% of a dollar apiece?
14. If a horse eat 1% of a bushel of oats a day, how mauy bushels will he eat iu 365 days?
Section 19. 1. If of a chest of tea be worth $6.87), what is the whole chest worth?
2. If y of a dollar will pay for travelling 27 miles on a turnpike road, how far can you go for $1?
3. 790 is of what number?
4. If of a kite line be 25 yards in length, what is the whole length of the line ?
5. 305 is of what number?
6. If a man can earn 12 cents in į of a day, what sum of money can he earn in 1 day?
7. If of a yard of gold wire be worth is of a dollar, what is the value of 1 yard of the wire ?
Section 20. 1. A boy having $2, gave of his money for a knife. What fraction of 1 dollar did the knife cost ?
2. } of 2 is equal to what part of 1?
3. ő men divided 5 barrels of flour equally among them, each man taking of the four in each barrel. What fraction of a barrel did each man get ? 4. Žof 5 is equal to what part
of 1 ? 5. If you should take it of a bushel of corn from each of 10 bushels, what fraction of 1 bushel would you obtain ?
6. What part of 1 is 16 of 10?
7. What part of 1 is 36 of 2? is 3 of 3 ?' is 3 of 4 ! s of 18? is of 38 ?
8. A tenant raised 28 bushels of corn, and gave
his landlord } of it. What improper fraction of a bushel, (how many thirds of a bushel,] did the landlord receive? How many bushels did the landlord receive?
9. į of 28 is equal to what improper fraction? Then of 28 is equal to how many whole ones?
10. } of 42 is equal to what improper fraction? Then } of 42 is equal to what mixed number?
11. 1'; of 29 is equal to what improper fraction ? Then 1 of 29 is equal to what mixed number?
12. IT $721 should be divided equally among 6 men, how many
sixths of a dollar would each man have > How many dollars would each man have ?
Section 21. 1. Suppose a hogshead of brown sugar to be worth $115; what is the value of of the sugar?
2. What is of 115?
3. 5 men from Connecticut, bought 793 acres of land in Michigan, and divided it into 5 equal farms. How inany acres were there in each farm?
To find } of 793 acres, we divide 793 by 5. The quotient is 158 acres, and there is a remainder of 3 acres. To divide these 3 ar res, we take } of each acre for each farm. } of 3 acres is of 1 acre.
4. What is } of 1315? of 530? of 8201 ?
5. Suppose 12 men to share equally in a prize of $ 551.20; what is each man's share
6. What is ta of 55120? 2 of 967 ? 4 of 700? 7. The Young Ladies' Class Book, which consists of 408 pages of select reading lessons, has been read through by 25 scholars; each reading an equal portion. How many pages did i scholar read?
8. } of £1 [ } of 20s. ) is how many shillings, and what fraction of a shilling?
9. Find of £7 in shillings- that is, reduce £7 to shillings, and find of the number of shillings.
10. of 5 shillings is how many pence?