« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
many are 9 times 4?
many are 9 times 8?
20. A trader wishes to pack 56 hats in boxes, putting 8 hats in a box:-- how many boxes are wanted
21. How many times 8 in 56 ? How many arc 7 times 8?
22. How many dozen of eggs can you buy for 63 cents, when they are sold at 9 cents a dozen?
2? How many times 9 in 63 ? How many are 7 times 9?
24. If an orange be worth 6 cents, and a lime 1 cent, then how many oranges are 60 limes worth?
25. How many times 6 in 60 ? How many are 10 times 6?
26. If one silk bonnet be worth 7 handkerchiefs, how many bonnets are 56 handkerchiefs worth?
27. How many times 7 in 56 ? How many are 8 times 7?
28. If I give a barrel of four for 4 bushels of wheat, how many barrels must I give for 36 bushels ?
29. How many times 4 in 36? How
30. If a man can build 8 rods of fence in a day, how niany days will it take him to build 72 rods?
31. How many times 3 in 72? How
32. If 5 bushels of wheat will pay for a yard of broad cloth, how many yards will 45 bushels pay for?
33. How many times 5 in 45? How many are 9 tines 5?
34. Lafayette was 42 days on his passage from Toulon to New York. How many weeks was bis
passage? 35. How many times 7 in 42? How .nany are 6 times 7?
SECTION 2. 1. Suppose 2 men have 8 biscuit to divide equally between them;-how many must each man take ?
Observation. There are 2 men to share the biscuit, and if there were only 2 biscuit io be divided, then 1 man would take 1 biscuit. Therefore, 1 man will now take 1 biscuit of every 2 biscuit. Solution. As
many times as 2 is contained in 8, so many biscuit must each man take. 2 is contained in 8, 4 times.
2. If 12 dollars be divided equally between 2 men, how many dollars does each man receive ?
3. If is chestnuts should be divided equally between 2 boys, how many would each boy receive ?
4. A tenant cultivated a piece of corn, agreeing to give the owner of the land i bushel of every 2 bushels that he might raise. He raised 22 bushels. How many bushels should the owner of the land receive ?
5. Suppose 3 boys have 12 oranges to divide equally between them;- how many must each boy take?
Observation. If the 3 boys had only 3 oranges to divide, each boy would take 1 orange;-if they had 2 times 3 oranges, each boy would take 2 times 1 orange:-and thus, each boy will take as many times 1 orange, as there are threes in the number to be divided.
Solution. As many times as 3 is contained in 12, so inany oranges must each boy take. 3 in 12, 4 times.
6. If 15 biscuit be divided equally between 3 men, how many biscuit does 1 man receive?
7. 3 careless boys must pay 24 cents for breaking, a square of glass. What must each boy pay?
8. A man set out 27 trees, in 3 rows; an equal number in each row. How many were there in one row ?
9. 4 boys have 12 oranges to divide equally between them. How many will each boy receive?
Observation. If the 4 boys had only 4 oranges to divide, then each boy would receive 1 orange. Therefore each boy must receive 1 orange of every 4 oranges that there'are in the number to be divided.
Solution. As many times as 4 is contained in 12, so many oranges will each boy receive. 4 in 12, 3 times.
10. I have 32 minutes to spend on 4 lessons. How many minutes can I spend on each lesson?
11. Suppose I wish to give 28 quills to 4 boys,— how many must I give to each boy?
12. 4 men received 20 dollars for doing a piece of work. How much was each man's share ?
13. A fisherman hired a boat, agreeing to give the cwner, 1 fish of every 5, that he might catch: he caught 20. How many should he give the owner ?
14. If 35 pounds of beef be divided among 5 soldiers, how many pounds does each soldier receive?
15 5 men have agreed to pay equal shares of 50 dollars How many dollars must one man pay?
16. Charles was one of 6 boys, who ownen together 42 hooks. They divided the books, and Charles received 1 book of every 6 books. How many did he receive:
17. If 24 books should be divided equally among 6 boys, how many would each hoy receive?
18. 6 men have agreed to pay 36 dollars in equal. shares. How many dollars must each man pay?
19. Edward is one of 7 boys, who are to have 29 peaches divided equally among them. How many will Edward receive for his share?
20. If 7 writing-books be made of 42 sheets of paper, how many sheets are there in each book ?
21. S boys owned together 72 quills; and, in order to share them equally, each boy took 1 quill from every 3 quills in the number. How many did each boy take? 22. I have 48 dollars to divide among 6 men.
How many dollars must I give to one man ?
23. 9 men shared 45 bushels of corn among them, each man taking for his share, 1 bushel of every 9 bushels. How many bushels did each man take?
24. I persons have agreed to make up a purse of 72 dollars. How
dollars must each one put in? 25. 10 sailors are to receive 90 dollars for retaking their ship. How much will each sailor receive?
SECTION 3. 1. Charles has 25 cents, which he has engaged to appropriate as follows. Whenever he blots his writingbook, he is to lay it aside, and pay 6 cents for a new one. Now how
he pay for; and how many cents will he have remaining, after his number becomes too small to buy another book.
Observation. If his whole number of cents were 30, he could then pay for five books; because, 6 cents are contained in 30 cents, 5 times. Again, if his whole number of cents were only 24, he could then pay for 4 books; because, 6 cents are contained in 24 cents, 4 times.
2. Suppose it takes 8 buttons to trim a vest:-how many vests can the tailor, who has only 34 buttons, trim and what number of buttons will he have remaining?
3. How many limes 8 in 34; and how many over ?
4. How many glass tumblers, at 10 cents apiece, can A woman that has only 53 cents, buy; and how many cents will she have remaining ?
Solution As many times as 10 is contained in 53, so many tumblers she can buy. 10 is contained in 53, 5 rimes, and there is three over.
5. How many kegs, that will hold 7 gallons apiece, may be filled from a cask of wine containing 46 gallons; and how many gallons will remain in the cask?
6. How many times 7 in 46; and how many over?
7. A hat-maker has 53 hats finished; and, in order to send them to market, he must pack them in boxes, that will hold 8 hats apiece.
How many full boxes can be send; and how many hats will remain on hand ?
8. How many times 8 in 53; and how many over ?
9. A trader has 69 dollars with which he wishes to purchase hats. If he should pay 7 dollars apiece for the lats, how many could he purchase; and how many dolars would he have remaining ?
10. How many times 7 in 69; and how many over ?
11. If 4 vards of cloth will make 1 cloak, how many cloaks can be made from a piece of cloth containing 38 yards; and how many yards will there be over ?
12. How many times 4 in 38; and how many over?
13. How many times is 4 contained in 29; and how many over?
How many are 7 times 4, and 1 more? 14. How many times is 6 contained in 53; and how many over?
How many are 8 times 6, and 5 more? 15. How many times is 9 contained in 57; and how many over ?
How many are 6 times y, and 3 more? 16. How many times is 7 contained in 68; and how many over?
How inany are 9 times 7, and 5 mure? 17. How many times is 5 contained in 49; and how many over? How many are 9 times 5, and 4 more?
18. How many times is 3 contained in 26; and how many over ?
How many are 8 times 3, and 2 more? 19. In 15, how many times 4; and how many over ? In 17 : In 26 ? In 33 ? In 27? In 42 ?
20. In 27, how many times 5; and how many over! In 29 ? In 36 ? In 32 ? In 44 ? In 48 ?
21. In 29, how many times 6; and how many over! In 37 ? ln 33 ? In 46 ? In 49? In 22 ?
22. In 30, how many times 7; and how many over? In 36 ? In 43 ? In 48 ? In 51 ? In 59 ?
23. In 28, how many times 8; and how many cver? In 35 ? In 46 ? In 52 ? In 61? In 75? 24. In 31, how many times 9; and how many
over: In 34 ? In 42 ? In 50? In 67 ? In 70 ?
25. A gallon measure, used for measuring wine, beer, milk, &c. will contain as much as 4 quart measures Suppose I have 15 quart measures full of water;-how many gallon measures can I fill from them; and how many quarts will there be over ?
26. How many gallons are there in 34 quarts ?
27. 3 feet, measured on a line, are the same as 1 yarıl. How many yards are there in 29 feet?
28. How many yards are there in 17 feet?
29. 60 minutes, by the clock, make 1 hour. How inany hours are there in 128 minutes ? 30. 12 inches, on the carpenter's rule, make 1 foot
. How many feet long is a board, that is 65 inches long?
31. How many feet are there in 38 inches ?
32. 8 drams of medicine, weighed by the apothecary, are the same as 1 ounce of medicine, How many ounces are there in 46 drams?
33. How many ounces are there in 30 drams?
34. 9 square feet, measured upon the floor, make ! square yard. How many square feet are there in 20 square yards?
35. How many square yards in 51 square feet?
36. 12 pence, in English money, make 1 shilling. How many shillings are there in 69. pence?
39. How many shillings are there in 46 pence!
40. 10 cents, in Federal money, make I dime. How many
here in 48 cents ?